We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

I would like to visit The Cotswolds as a daytrip from Oxford next march Going by public transport I understand that the only option is by bus.

Which is the best option or which one do you recommend: Going to Burford and spend the day there doing some walk around the town or it´s possible to visit some other place in the area

I am interested in photography so would like typical architecture, some historic buildings and some nice views

I have been looking at some guided tour but they start at middle march, so this is not usuful for me as I will be there the first week of march.

Thank you

Jose

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

You may be better getting a train to Moreton in Marsh from where you can get buses to Stow, Bourton Chipping Campden and Broadway. You probably won't have time to see them all but will have a choice - if you go to Burford it's difficult though not impossible to get anywhere else

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

Thank you very much

That seems a nice option.

Jose

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

Hello Jose

There is a direct coach service from Oxford to Burford

http://www.swanbrook.co.uk/oxfordservice

Burford is very beautiful and interesting. You could easily spend a day there.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

The quickest/easiest suggestion would be to take the frequent S3 service to Woodstock. Beautiful village and home to Blenheim palace. Very many photo opps there. Many nice shops and restaurants too.

Or stay on board for Charlbury. A very attractive village, but no shops/restaurants really.

Either option will be most feasible for a day trip. Or the train to Moreton as suggested above.

Other options will be a faff without a car and you'll be relying on slow, infrequenct bus services.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

If you don't want to hire a car and drive then I would personally look for an organised coach tour which covers some of the pretty villages and countryside. Woodstock is a fairly busy town and not really in the Cotswolds as such.

Public transport is infrequent or non-existent in the nicer areas.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

Woodstock is just as much a Cotswold town as Fairford, Lechlade or Witney. Outside the AONB but a town in the Cotswold region nevertheless.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

Agree! We'd be splitting hairs there! Woodstock looks and feels like a large Cotswold village. I'd also argue that it's less busy than Bourton, Stow, or Burford, which are rammed when those tourist coaches stop and drop off their load. You won't get that in Woodstock.

To see the best of the Cotswolds, you need a car. If you want a really simple, easy, and cheap trip from Oxford, jump on a bus to Woodstock.

8. Re: Visiting The Cotswolds as a day trip by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 02:15