We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fine, quiet hotel?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
fine, quiet hotel?

A few years ago when we visited Bath, we stayed at the Bath Priory and fell in love with the place (both the city and the hotel). We'd love to visit Oxford this September post-cruise, but I can't seem to find a hotel of similar caliber in Oxford. I read through the hotel reviews, but I'm put off by the convincing-sounding negatives (esp, repeated ones, which sound legit, not just beefs from disgruntled complainers.)

It's important to us that the accommodation be quiet and have king bed. Also, since we'll not have a car, it's got to be close enough-- 15 min. or so-- to walk into the city.

We'd like so much to visit Oxford for a couple of days (we're both academics), but being elderly, it's becoming increasingly important to us that accommodations are lovely and comfortable (doesn't need to be ultra-luxury).

I guess that I'm hoping that somehow I've missed something that's suitable for us.

Thanks for suggestions. We're eager to get back to England!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,526 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

If you want to stay in the city, try the Mercure Eastgate.

If you don't mind a short walk, and like the look of the place, perhaps the Malmaison.

The Buttery is often recommended on this forum.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

http://www.oldparsonage-hotel.co.uk/location/

The Old Parsonage - on Banbury Road near the centre

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,600 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

Agree with Tilly the Old Parsonage is a lovely old building and may appeal to you. It is just at the end of St Giles and a very nice stroll into the centre. It is very close to museums, colleges etc. The Old Bank Hotel is on the High Street so not sure how quiet that would be although it is popular.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,600 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

This one may be a little quieter although is a bit further out. of the centre. http://www.cotswoldlodgehotel.co.uk/

Edited: 13 January 2013, 22:21
Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
463 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

I agree with the above posts recommending the Old Parsonage and the Cotswold Lodge Hotel (which is in North Oxford, but is well serviced by frequent buses). There is a new hotel in Oxford, very centrally located on St Michael's called the Vanbrugh Hotel. It looks lovely! http://vanbrughhousehotel.co.uk/

florida
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

These responses have been very valuable-- thank you!

Old Parsonage looks like it would be a good choice for us (Vanbrugh gets low marks for service, and the others are a bit farther from town I think), but since Parsonage is an old building, I'm wondering about the creaking sounds. We're such very light sleepers, so the quiet factor is a high priority.

Also, Parsonage's website doesn't show photos of the various rooms (I don't think the others mentioned do either, as Bath Priory helpfully did).

Have any of you stayed at the Parsonage? They do have king beds, by the way. My e-mail about that detail was answered promptly.

I'm so looking forward to this visit!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,600 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

I have never needed to stay in a hotel in Oxford so can't say how quiet they are You could send a private message to someone who has written a recent review and ask them.

Edited: 14 January 2013, 18:16
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,526 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

Nancy, type into google, "Old Parsonage rooms" and then click on images.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

Friends of mine loved the Malmaison. Haven't stayed there myself.

malmaison.com/locations/oxford/about-the-oxf…

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: fine, quiet hotel?

If you are light sleepers then placed like Malmaison may keep you awake as it's in close proximity to two late night bars and several restaurants. However as they are ex-prison cells, the walls will be pretty thick and one hopes the windows are doubled glazed rather than three iron bars.

The Old Parsonage building is a few centuries old and built of sturdy Cotswold limestone. It is likely to creak as the next hotel along Banbury Road. Floorboards creak in all of the 19th century North Oxford hotels, fact of life, but I find the Cotswold Lodge, just further out of all the city centre noise to be quiet yet still a 15 minute walk to the middle of everything.