We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

usa
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Hello,

Would like to get information on any tours in Oxford that would highlight Tolkien, CS Lewis and perhaps even Lewis Carroll. Visiting with my kids who love to read classic literature. I came upon a tour that focused mainly on Tolkien and Lewis, but it was not offered on the days we are visiting Oxford so I'm hoping there are other tours that would. Thank you for your help! (P.S. They're not interested in Harry Potter, so no need to give us info on that.)

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

You could hire your own tour guide eg from Footprints Tours to do this for you. A cheaper option would be to purchase the beautiful book The Inklings of Oxford by Poe and Veneman. It is a wonderful book about these men with detailed photos and contains a number of self-guided walking tours at the end.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Blackwell's used to do a literary walking tour on Thursdays and Saturdays.

bookshop.blackwell.co.uk

3. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 16:48
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
969 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Here's one that might suit:

visitoxfordandoxfordshire.com/thedms.aspx…

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

I think the tours from Blackwell's bookshop might be your best bet.

usa
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Thank you for the suggestions. Will look into them.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

These are great suggestions...I was wondering the same thing for a trip coming up this fall!

8. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 15:12
Montana
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

I'm not sure when you're going or if you've been already - but Holy Trinity Church in Oxford is having a celebration in honor of the 50th anniversary of C.S. Lewis' death Sep 19-22. There's a 3 hour free walking tour and other events planned that you might like.

My husband and I wanted to do the same thing as you - tour a little about Lewis and Tolkien and I was happy to find this going on during the dates we'll be in England! Here's the website: http://www.cslewisjubileefestival.org/

10. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 15:12