We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Hello,

Would like to get information on any tours in Oxford that would highlight Tolkien, CS Lewis and perhaps even Lewis Carroll. Visiting with my kids who love to read classic literature. I came upon a tour that focused mainly on Tolkien and Lewis, but it was not offered on the days we are visiting Oxford so I'm hoping there are other tours that would. Thank you for your help! (P.S. They're not interested in Harry Potter, so no need to give us info on that.)

usa
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Would like to update my post. There are several companies that provide Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tours of Oxford. However, we were there on a particular date that could not be changed, and none of those companies had Tolkien/Lewis-specific tours scheduled for that particular day. I noticed that the Tolkien/Lewis tours were held by various companies only on certain days of the week or month, and not on a daily basis as they would their regular city tours.

So my only option was to do a private tour that day that would cater to our family's interests, but private tours are generally expensive (more than 100 pounds for two hours, I found from asking around). I finally found a company that offered an affordable private tour. Oxford City Walk charged me only 40 pounds for a private Tolkien/Lewis specific tour. Our tour guide Ian was accommodating and informative.

After touring with Ian, we concluded our visit with dinner at the Eagle and Child, a pub where the Inklings (Tolkien, Lewis and their fellow authors) met on a regular basis.

Hope this information helps. Basically, check first to see if a tour company has a Tolkien/Lewis tour scheduled on the day/s you are visiting Oxford. This would be your least expensive option. If none are scheduled on those days, arrange for a private tour. Oxford City Walk was the most affordable private tour I could find.

12. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 15:13
13. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 15:12
14. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

15. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Because, as you WELL KNOW, Self Promotion is not allowed on TA. Read the community guidelines, which are the T's & C's of membership here.

17. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Their site, their rules.

I post links for many things, TA "makes no money" from that, either. The difference is, I am not promoting my own business, ever. I don't have a business anyway!

19. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Oxford Tolkien/C.S. Lewis tour

So here is some information just for you, as you don't seem to understsnd things

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/what_are_the_guidelin…

tripadvisor.com/help/Can_I_sell_or_promote_s…

Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations