We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

My husband and I are planning to spend 6 days in Oxford in late September and will be using public transportation. How does this itinerary look?

Days 1 and 2 —Oxford

Day 3 — Blenheim Palace

Day 4 — Train to Moreton in Marsh Tuesday market, bus to Stow on the Wold, walk to the Slaughters and Bourton on the Water, and bus back.

Day 5-- Chipping Campden and Broadway, and possibly a visit to Hidcote Manor

Day 6— Burford

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

Looks eminently doable

2. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 December 2015, 16:11
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

Thanks Diz for your comments. I am considering Burford because of the ease in getting there by direct bus from Oxford. Also, a friend stayed there two nights and liked it. I found two maps online for walks by Burford—one east and one west of Burford. I think this may be the walk you were referring to: escapetothecotswolds.org.uk/userfiles/file/w… Is Minster Lovell Hall farther east on the map?

Another consideration is to stay six nights in Moreton-in-Marsh rather than Oxford and make day trips to Oxford and Blennheim Palace, omitting Burford, and spending more time around Batsford, Chipping Campden, Broadway, Bourton on the Water, and Stow on the Wold. Do you have any comments?

Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

Just a quick note to say that I completely disagree about Moreton-in-Marsh - I love it up there! It's a great village, with lots of lovely cafes, shops and pubs. I especially love the Cotswold Cheese Company shop. Are you sure there's a direct bus to Burford? I didn't think there was, without changing in Witney.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

The 853 links Oxford direct to Burford and onwards to Cheltenham. It also calls at Witney and Minster Lovell but in the latter case up on the main road about a half hour walk to the ruins of the hall.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

Just to pick up one comment by VickiAnne_11 - I wouldn't recommend staying in Moreton and spending one day in Oxford for two reasons. a) You'll find that one day is far too little time to see everything Oxford has to offer - and indeed two days is insufficient. b) If you stay overnight in Oxford there's far more to do in the evening than you could in Moreton-in-Marsh.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

There is a lovely unspoilt walk through the villages from Burford to Witney and you can include Minster Lovell Hall (a favorite spot of mine!). It is about 7 or 8 miles but you can stop off at a pub or two, and either walk some of the way along the river, or take the quiet country roads. Nice area as you don't get lots of other tourists!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

Thank you all for your comments. pcw12kcox, I appreciate your noting that there would be more to do in Oxford in the evenings. I hadn't thought about that aspect. However, if I do a lot of walking during the day, I may be too tired to do much at night. I realize that two days is not enough in Oxford, but there are too many other places in the area that I want to see.

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
69 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

Are you doing all your travelling on public transport? It seems so. Then be prepared for long waits. I do not drive and some of the villages are virtually impossible to get to without a car.

If you base yourself at Moreton in Marsh you will be more limited in where you can get to than if based in Oxford - as Oxford is a 'hub' at which a lot of busses end.

Moreton is a fabulous town because it is still a 'working town' but deadly dull for tourists because it caters for local people.

10. Re: Oxford and Cotswolds Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 06:16