We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from London to Oxford without booking

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Griesheim-pres-Molsh...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
from London to Oxford without booking

Dears,

my wife and I will be in london for some days at the beginning of July; on sunday we will (probably) decide to visit Oxford in one day. Leaving London in the morning (about 10.00) and going back from Oxford in the late afternoon. Because we do not want to book in advance, which one is the best and cheapest way to go? By train or by bus? Thank you.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

The bus will be a bit cheaper and will deposit you in the centre of Oxford. You just pay the driver

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

On a Sunday definitely go for the bus. Trains are less frequent and more busy, and as dzug says the Oxford Tube will arrive at Gloucester Green, right in the heart of Oxford.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

Bus is certainly cheap, but generally takes longer than the train. That said, there are often works on the railway at weekends so you might have to use a bus for part of the journey. You can check train times and prices at www.nationalrail.co.uk and buses on www.oxfordtube.com.

Either way, enjoy your day in Oxford.

Angie

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

The only day the coach is sometimes quicker than the train is Sunday. Both train and coach take about 75 to 90 minutes on that day. Less traffic on the roads versus engineering work on the railways. Any other day, I'd take the train.

Griesheim-pres-Molsh...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

thank you for your answers. I will go to Victoria station and take the first bus I find. Or shall I look for a specific bus line?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

If you were to book an advance return ticket for a 10:00 train to Oxford, it would cost £10.50 each.

If you paid the walk up fare, it would cost £23.40 each.

If you decide not to go, you will have lost less than the cost of one walk up ticket.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

You can catch the bus from Marble Arch if that's more convenient.

http://www.oxfordtube.com/londontube.aspx#

I wouldn't just turn up at Victoria and get on the first bus you see - you may end up in Glasgow, Madrid, Paris etc, etc

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

And at Victoria there is the BUS station (red London city buses) and the COACH station for longer trips eg Oxford. They are separate.

9. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 13:26
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
950 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from London to Oxford without booking

Here are the websites for the two London/Oxford bus services. http://www.oxfordtube.com/ and www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=261 The other thing to bear in mind is that whilst the train journey does appear to be quicker - this assumes you want to go from Paddington to Oxford stations! As mentioned the buses have more pick up and drop off points and there may be a more convenient start point for your journey. In addition you'll save about 10/15 mins when you arrive in Oxford as this is how long it will take you to walk from the rail station to the city centre.