We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good spot for autumn colours?

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Good spot for autumn colours?

I wonder if there is any spot in Oxford for autumn colours. Thanks.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

The best Autumn colours I have seen in the Oxford area are within the grounds of Blenheim Palace. Not the park but the grounds at the rear of the house.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

University Parks are a good option. Also consider Brasenose Wood and Shotover Country Park.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 17:35
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,515 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

The Arboretum at Nuneham Courtenay is fantastic for Autumn colours.

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

Thanks. If i only have time for 1-2, which would you choose? Considering perhaps ease of getting there if i stay in the city centre.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

The only place listed above that's easy to get to from the city centre is the University Parks. But...

Britain isn't particularly good at autumn colours, and autumn foliage just isn't the thing it's made out to be in some other parts of the world: our seasonal colourfest is the snowdrops-through-bluebell cycle between early Feb and late April. Autumn here's about crunchy footpaths, misty early mornings, a modest amount of mellowing deciduous foliage (one of the reason our foliage underwhelms is that a huge amount of practically all English landscape - including fields, hedges and lichen on tree bark - stays green year round), and the first crisp smells. The best place to experience an English autumn in central Oxford is the full walk round Christ Church meadow, preferably around dawn or twilight, possibly crossing over to the towpath on the north bank of the Thames.

For a completely different (but still free, central, green and expansive) take on English autumn, try Worcester College gardens.

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

I don't know if you're going to the Cotswolds as part of your trip, but about an hour from Oxford is Batsford Arboretum near Moreton in Marsh - it's stunning all year round but particularly beautiful in autumn.

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

Yes, i am setting aside one day for Cotsworld. Still wondering if i should go on my own or join a tour.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

Totally agree with flanneruk about the description of our Autumn - but I must admit I still prefer the University Parks to Christchurch Meadows at this time of year - especially when you have the option of going over Rainbow Bridge, or sitting round the duck pond!

If I was to choose one, however, and if you can make it out there in the time available, then probably the Arboretum at Nuneham Courtenay is the best option.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 20:50
unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

I am now reading about Cotswolds tour and there is this tour that combines with Blenheim palace but it does not cover Batsfordarboretum though.

cotswold-roaming.co.uk/cotswold-tours/#blenh…

10. Re: Good spot for autumn colours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:17