We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini Plant Tour

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Mini Plant Tour

I just made a reservation for one of the evening Mini Plant Tours and was wondering if there is anything else to do there - maybe a museum or exhibits - or is it just the working plant? I don't know if I should get there before the recommended 15 minutes prior to the tour time to look around or just arrive in time for the tour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Mini Plant Oxford
Mini Plant Oxford
313 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Cotswold Exploring
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Visit Oxford Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mini Plant Tour

I did a day tour some years ago (when I worked for Rolls Royce Cars), there wasn't any exhibits or a museum then, just a type of gift shop where you could buy Mini polo shirts, baseball caps etc.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mini Plant Tour

Thanks so much for the information. I guess I'll just arrive in time for the tour.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mini Plant Tour

Yep - just the plant - and there's nothing much to see in the vicinity either.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mini Plant Tour

Sorry. Me again with another question.

I'll be doing this tour by myself and I was wondering about the safety of the area after dark (single female, etc). Would I be fine waiting for the bus to take me back to the city center or should I splurge on a taxi?

Thanks again

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mini Plant Tour

I live not too far away - and go running around the area quite regularly at night. There are actually a number of people around, as the nearby retail park has a superstore open 24 hours a day. Clearly there's no absolute guarantee but I think it's safe. Interestingly the latest crime stats for Oxford show the hotspots are actually the nightclubs! See here: oxfordmail.co.uk/news/…

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mini Plant Tour

I forgot to add - I'm not quite sure what time your tour finishes or which entrance to the plant you'll be exiting, but Stagecoach route 10 (timetable here http://www.stagecoachbus.com/getTimetable.ashx?code=XOAO010&dir=OUTBOUND&date=17%2f09%2f2013) might (and I emphasise might, as it depends on your exit) be your best option back to the city centre. The stop is at Horspath Road shops, which is the other side of the ring road to the BMW car plant.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mini Plant Tour

pcw12kcox, Thanks for the reply. I think I'll take the bus back.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mini Plant Tour

You should be fine even though it's out of town it's well lit and busy enough

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mini Plant Tour

Just returned home from my holiday and England and wanted to thank everyone for their help.

I did go to the tour and just wanted to let you know that there is a small exhibition going on at the plant that you can view before the tour itself. It's all about the 100 years of manufacturing Minis in Oxford.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mini Plant Tour

Out of interest what was your opinion of the tour.