We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest football game on 19 oct?

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Nearest football game on 19 oct?

Would like to catch a football game, premiership or championship, that is near oxford on 19'oct.

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb.html

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

football-league.co.uk/page/ChampionshipHome

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

Reading are at home to Doncaster in the Championship on the 19th. Otherwise, there are no Premier League teams near to Oxford. London would be your best bet but the 3 Premier League games at Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham are likely to be, or already are, sell-outs and tickets won't be on general sale

Reading have a decent stadium and you should have no real problems getting tickets from the club

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

The Reading game looks like it. Of the championship games, this is nearest oxford right?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

Reading is the nearest game to Oxford. Takes around one hour and less than 30 miles.

Oxford United do play in the Fourth Tier but they are away that weekend

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

I have a flight to catch at Heathrow at 10pm so i have to reach airport by 8. After the game i need to get back to hotel for my luggage before cabbing to airport. Am I taking a risk?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

So, you are thinking of going to watch Reading, then head back to Oxford to collect bags then get to Heathrow by 8pm?

Risky, but if all the stars are lined up you might just make it if you are going by taxi rather than public transport.

Lets say the game ends and you're out on the street by 5pm. How are you going to get back to Oxford? There will be a lot of traffic with crowds leaving the ground and a one hour journey can take nearer 2 hours. Then you need to get down the M40 from Oxford and hope the traffic isn't going to hold you up. Again, a one hour drive could easily turn into 2 hours which would mean you will miss check-in.

If it was me, I wouldn't even think about going to the game if I had a flight to catch

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
993 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

I concur - extremely risky, and I wouldn't chance it. Part of your consideration must be the location of your hotel or B&B in Oxford. If it's located on or close to the Oxford eastern ring road, then you'l save 30/40 minutes in travel time compared with, say, a central or north of city location.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,931 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

The West Ham game is out of the equation as that is a 1730 kickoff and will be sold out anyway.

The Arsenal and Chelsea games are both at 1500hrs. If not sold out to members etc either would be feasible using the left luggage facility at Paddington Station. Then the OP could take the train from Oxford to Paddington, drop luggage, go to the game on the Underground, pick up bags at Paddington afterwards, take the train to the airport and easily be there by 8pm for checkin.

The hard part would be getting a match ticket.

Reading station does not have left luggage services.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,157 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nearest football game on 19 oct?

Take the bus to Heathrow, drop your luggage there then take the bus to Reading, see the match then return