We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in Oxford

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Cycling in Oxford

Are there dedicated cycling paths? Is it a good way to see the city sights and the university by bikes? Where is a good place to hire bikes? Do they have different points where you can drop your bike off?

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling in Oxford

Why bother?

Bikes are widely used in Oxford because lots of people living there need to get around places that are a bit too far away to walk. But virtually none of them are worth visiting.

Unless you're staying in the remoter suburbs, having a bike is a pointless nuisance. Everything worth most visitors' while was built centuries before bikes were thought of.

Central Oxford's for walking

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling in Oxford

I agree that Oxford is not very good on Bike. If you're on the outskirts then consider a bike to get into the centre but a bus will probably suit you better.

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling in Oxford

I see. Thanks.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
981 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling in Oxford

I have to take issue with Richard S - you'll find a bike is one of the main ways the locals (me included!) get around the city - a lot quicker and easier than bus or private car. That being said for a tourist it's not so good simply because (as Flanneruk has indicated) all the tourist sites are in the city centre which is very compact and easy to walk round. Hence there are few places to hire bikes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling in Oxford

I meant for tourists. I know that Oxford is full of locals and students using their bikes to get around the centre. But those people know where they're going and are in more of a rush than tourists.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling in Oxford

I too would disagree a bike is agreat way to spend a day just pootling around you will cover more ground get a better feel for the layout of the town and can then go back and do what you want on foot. Also makes afew of the more distant riverside pubs more accesable. I would reccomend a day just aimlessly cycling around the backstreets an alleyways.

As for bike hire depends where you are staying there are a couple of places in the city centre , Oxford Bikes will deliver and collect. some of the bigger hotels have bikes you can use for free, I know the old Parsonage and the Randolph do.

7. Re: Cycling in Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:20