We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better customer service elsewhere than Mercure Eastgate?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Better customer service elsewhere than Mercure Eastgate?

I tried to book an overnight stay for my 17-year old son to stay unaccompanied while he was filming, and so he had somewhere to do his homework without difficulty. I rang the hotel, explained the situation and the hotel representative said she would check with her manager. Within literally 10 seconds she returned to tell me it was against the law and ended the call. My son regularly stays in large London hotels (as well as the Mercure in Stratford) and nearly always unaccompanied - being 17 he no longer legally requires a chaperone when working - and we have never experienced this or been so spectacularly fobbed off. I confirmed with a colleague in the legal profession that there was no such law but that 16 was usually regarded as the minimum age. I would have rung the hotel again but I wasn't confident at the quality or their response so I emailed the hotel and asked them if they would reconsider in light of the correct legal position and if he paid in full in advance. Needless to say I haven't received a response or an acknowledgement. In no way do I dispute their right to exercise discretion but I do dispute their right to provide poor and inadequate customer service.

My son needs to stay in Oxford again next week but before we contact any other hotels, does anyone have any suggestions for any hotels that would be more sympathetic to his position?

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
995 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better customer service elsewhere than Mercure Eastgate?

There are many better hotels in Oxford than the Mercure Eastgate full stop. If you need to be in a similar location try the Old Bank, further up the High Street. The Randolph and Malmaison are also very close to the City Centre.

Is there any particular reason you have to book for him? Or even mention his age when you book?

Edited: 02 October 2013, 19:51
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
946 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better customer service elsewhere than Mercure Eastgate?

Given he is U18 and the property is a licensed premises I'm wondering if that is the reason why. The other issue is that U18s are not legally liable for debts (except for what are called "necessaries" - which hotel rooms aren't!) so perhaps they have had a bad experience with U18s causing damage or running up unpaid bills in the past and don't want to take the risk? Either way this is no excuse for rudeness so best plan is to go elsewhere as beckysimms suggests.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better customer service elsewhere than Mercure Eastgate?

16-18 is a strange age in that they are considered adults for some purposes but not for others. For example, if there is a minibar in the room it could be an issue. There are also some circumstances where, if a 16-18 year old is drunk or taken to hospital with an injury, the hotel manager might be called to fetch him (or her).

Edited: 02 October 2013, 23:01
4. Re: Better customer service elsewhere than Mercure Eastgate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:21