We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

First of all let me say, i was born and bought up in Oxford but left England for America in 1986. So i have not been home to Oxford for years. I miss the English breakfast soooo much even the grease :). So now i am bringing my wife to England for her first visit in March 2014. Can you recommend a couple of good old English Breakfast spots in Oxford and / or Cowley ? . Good Bacon, Pork sausage, Beans, Eggs, Fried bread, mushrooms..... Can't wait Thank you all.

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

Cowley Road - The Excelsior. Looks grim, but breakfasts are proper fryups.

In town - Browns in the Covered Market used to be good - no idea if it still is.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
476 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

Also good are St Giles Cafe on St Giles, and also Joe's Cafe in Summertown

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
975 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

I think Browns in the Covered Market are still good.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
89 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

My vote goes to News Cafe on Ship Street.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

I've heard Browns cafe is the place to go for fry ups too and you have the added bonus of the atmosphere of the covered market which is always special! :-)

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

Wouldn't disagree with any of the above, and would also add Combibos on Gloucester Green. Good breakfast menu with an excellent full English included.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

I love the Tick Tock Cafe on Cowley Road, just up from The Plain. They have helped me get through many a hangover-day with their huge cups of tea and decent breakfast. :)

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

We've been to Browns several times. All good except they really let themselves down with the cheap and nasty sausages. Surely with all the lovely butchers in the covered market they could source some decent sausages. The covered market is definitely worth a visit and there are a couple of other cafe/coffee shops that do breakfast, but they have been a bit hit or miss in our experience. Still looking for that great breakfast place....

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

It's not in Cowley, but the Jam Factory up by the Railway Station is a good place for a breakfast.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local's Help... Best real English Breakfast in town.

St Giles Cafe is still great if a little different to how you will remember it, I use Browns a bit but it is pretty basic. to be honest you can't go far wrong with the Four Candles or the Swan and Castle(both Weatherspoons).

The Excelsior isn't really up to much anymore, I used to use it a lot in the past, people say it has an old charm to it, well if, dirty seats, floors, walls, toilets that my dog probably wouldn't use are regarded as charm then so be it. My most used breakfast spot is Tick Tock on the bottom of the Cowley Road, in fact i'm just off there now.

There are plenty of places for good breakfasts including most hotels and B and Bs.

Enjoy your trip down memory lane and showing Oxford to your wife.