We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

I'm in the process of booking our flights and I'm in two minds whether to fly home from Gatwick or Heathrow.

Have I understood it correctly that it takes about 90 minutes by bus to Heathrow and about 2½ hours to Gatwick?

Are National Express and the Airline (is it the same as Oxford bus company) the two options?

Thank you for your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

Heathrow is a lot closer than Gatwick. However, Gatwick will take you right outside whereas Heathrow will take you to terminal 5 (for British Airways only) and then the Heathrow Bus Station from which you will have to walk (only a short walk) to the other terminals.

It depends on what flights are available from each?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

National Express do not run on these routes. The only company is the Oxford Airline, which is part of the Oxford Bus Company

I believe National Express will (for a fee) sell you tickets for it though

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

Heathrow is a lot lot easier to get to and from to in my opinion! It is very quick and as said above will take you to terminal 5 and the central bus station where the other terminals are easily accessible! Also getting to Gatwick can be a nightmare, if there is any accident it can really effect the time for your journey (which I found recently when I missed my flight due to a big crash on the M25, which was unlucky, but you stand a greater risk of bad traffic getting to Gatwick! I think the main option is the airline buses, they go very frequently, I think the national express only goes to Luton and Stansted.

I guess like the above poster said, I guess things will end up coming down to which flights suit you best!

Jyvaskyla, Finland
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

Thank you for your help!

There are plenty of options from both but we might get a bit cheaper flight from Gatwick. In this case it would be a false economy, I guess. Heathrow it is then!

Jyvaskyla, Finland
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

Just wanted to add that this forum is such a great place, no matter what you need to know within minutes you get the answer! I might be back with more questions closer to our trip. :)

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

Not a problem! The good part about Heathrow too, is that it is easily assessable by tube from London, so if you decided to spend a few days in London first (or just wanted to save money by getting the megabus into London from Oxford) you can then get the tube out to heathrow for not very much money (I can't remember the exact price but was cheap!).

Good luck with your trip!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

I made quite a considerable saving on a flight from Gatwick over one from Heathrow, so much so that I used some of the money I saved to travel down to Gatwick the night before from Oxford on the coach and paid £37 to stay at the airport Travelodge and I didn't have to get up at stupid o'clock the next day either.

So if the flight costs are hugely different you may want to consider that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

If you tell us the flights which are possibilities from both Heathrow and Gatwick, we can advise the best option.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 21:36
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

You can also get to Gatwick from Oxford by train. Train to Reading then change to a train for Gatwick. It takes a couple of hours but the train arrives in the terminal building, so no traffic to contend with. But Heathrow is much closer to Oxford of course.

Jyvaskyla, Finland
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Oxford to Gatwick or Heathrow

Hi all and thank you for your input! It really helped us to make up our minds.

We've now booked our flights, we are flying to and from Heathrow (T3), we'll arrive on Thursday the 27th March at 9 am. We will spend the first day in London. We'll take the tube to Paddington (via Earl's Court probably) and leave our bags there. Then we'll explore London for the day! I do realize that one day is nowhere near enough for London but needs must. I've been to London quite a few times and know my way around. My friend's never been and she's happy seeing the Big Ben and the Thames and soaking up the atmosphere. To put it in a nutshell.

We'll take the train in the evening (probably around 8 pm) from Paddington, I'm hoping to get a good price in advance. Then it's two whole days in Oxford. Our flight leaves on Sunday the 30th at 6 pm.

We are both Morse and Lewis fans, hence the focus on Oxford. :) I've been there once before for a few days.

We haven't booked our accommodation yet but we'll be doing that shortly. I have my eyes on Diana's B&B but it seems that she only has single and double rooms. A twin would be ideal.

I will also book the train ticket (or bus) to Oxford and bus ticket to Heathrow well in advance.

That's our plan at the moment, all comments are much appreciated.