We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth visiting??

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
worth visiting??

Thinking of going away for easter with my fiance......went to york a couple of years ago which was lovely and am looking for something similar. Just for a relaxing break, nice food drink and a bit of sightseeing. Does Oxford fit the bill??? Thanks in advance!!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: worth visiting??

Outstanding free museums like the Pitt-Rivers and the Ashmolean, beautiful architecture, Christ Church meadow and the Thames, pubs like the Royal Oak, Turf Tavern, Lamb and Flag.....definitely yes. In fact, why not just accept a Yes then follow it up with a browse through a guidebook.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worth visiting??

I think so but I am biased. As well as all of the above we have lots of lovely colleges to look around. We have stunning buildings such as the Radcliffe Camera with nice little cafe's around them such as The Vaults. The covered market is interesting and we also have the University Parks.

As Henneth says research it a little either with a guidebook or on line.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 16:02
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worth visiting??

Worth visiting? Absolutely.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: worth visiting??

Many thanks guys!!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: worth visiting??

Oxford is probably a must see, but you could do it as a day or short weekend from Bristol. Why not consider somewhere further afield for a bank holiday? You've already mentioned Norwich, and I added Canterbury, but there are lots more beautiful and historic towns with great restaurants etc that would make a good long weekend from Bristol. Chester springs to mind.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worth visiting??

Definitely Chester. If you enjoyed York then you'll like Chester too

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
976 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worth visiting??

Yes Oxford fits the bill!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: worth visiting??

Oxford is a beautiful city and I prefer it to Chester although that has its merits too.

Apart from the city attractions in Oxford, don't forget Blenheim Palace is not far away or take a trip into the Cotswolds to ring the changes.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,991 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worth visiting??

Or perhaps Norwich.....

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
118 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply