We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

Later this month, I will be flying into Heathrow (Terminal 3), taking the bus to Oxford, and then need a way to get to London. It seems to be two different companies that do Heathrow-Oxford and Oxford-London so that I cannot purchase a round trip (return) ticket. I would like to be as economical as possible, and am not adverse to taking the train Oxford-London if that's a better idea (that leg will be on a Sunday morning). Any advice?

Thanks!

Oxford, Cotswolds...
1,213 reviews
from US$123.86*
Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,045 reviews
from US$79.82*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access Day...
83 reviews
from US$172.02*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Warner Bros. Studio and...
41 reviews
from US$130.74*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

You can't buy a round trip ticket because you are not doing a round trip, not because different companies are involved. The Oxford London route doesn't go anywhere near Heathrow.

Anyhow the cheap options are:

an advance ticket from the First Great Western rail site - possibly £5

a megabus ticket - maybe £1 in advance

Edited: 10 February 2014, 18:56
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
976 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

Do bear in mind that the train doesn't go direct from Heathrow to Oxford - only the "Airline" (part of the Oxford Bus Company) does that. There are also no megabus options on this route. Timetables and fares here: http://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/timetables/ Whilst the Oxford Bus Company also runs buses from Oxford to London under the X90 brand (timetables and fares here http://x90.oxfordbus.co.uk/timetables-fares/ ) the company doesn't offer ticketing across both services. It is only on the Oxford/London route you'll find the cheaper options mentioned by dzug1 above.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

The train goes direct from Oxford to London Paddington, taking about an hour, but on a Sunday there may well be engineering works, so check on the National Rail website first. At the moment trains are not reliable due to flooded tracks......

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

Thanks everyone for all the detailed information. My daughter had a train delayed two hours on Monday due to flooding, so that's a real concern.

Sharon

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

The Oxford Bus Company will accept return tickets bought from Oxford to Heathrow on their central London service back to Oxford, as I do that on occasions. They may do the same in reverse but I don't know.

6. Re: Heathrow-Oxford-London transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:29