We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford in the evening

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SF
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Oxford in the evening

I am traveling to London with family in April. We will be flying into Heathrow Airport on Saturday at 2:00pm. Will check into hotel in Windsor. Was thinking of driving to Oxford later that day. My son is a Harry Potter fan. Any recommendations on how to make the most of this day? Is it worth driving to Oxford this late?

Appreciate any input.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford in the evening

It all depends on timings and where you are flying from. Firstly, if you leave Windsor after your check in (around 5pm?) then it's an hours drive to Oxford, arriving when every Harry Potter film location is shut. The Divinity School, St Mary the Virgin, Christ Church and New College were all used in HP and will all be closed by 6pm.

Secondly, if you are thinking of driving after an overnight transatlantic flight don't be so careless as to put other road users and yourself in danger by driving a car after several hours of little (if any) sleep. If it's a short haul from somewhere else in Europe, no worries.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford in the evening

Depending when you'll be arriving sunset will be between 7.45pm to 8.15pm so you'll probably have a quick chance to wander around the city centre and see the sights from the streets. However as henneth has said places will be closed. Do not, however, forget to factor in the time to find a parking space or use the park and ride (previous forum posts will reveal how car unfriendly Oxford is!). Whilst it may take an hour to reach the outskirts of Oxford it will probably take another 30 mins to get into the city centre by either method. Far better to earmark a full day (or two) and plan accordingly.

SF
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford in the evening

Thanks for the responses. I really need to think this through! My husband will be in Windsor the week prior to our arrival and he will be the designated driver! Any other ideas to make the most of that evening?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford in the evening

How old is your son? There are some lovely pubs in Oxford. Some of which local girl Emma Watson might be drinking in. Great treat for a Harry Potter fan if Hermione is propping up the bar.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford in the evening

Most Harry Potter fans are under age - although that's changing. I wouldn't count on seeing Emma Watson on one random night in Oxford (which does have delightful pubs).

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford in the evening

Well, if your husband is in Windsor and will have a car, you could get him to pick you up at Heathrow and take you direct to Oxford. But even then it is unlikely you would get there before 4pm.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 19:05
SF
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford in the evening

He is 16yrs old. He would love to 'bump' into any one of Harry Potter actors! We might end up going to Warner Brothers Studio Tour if we have the time.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford in the evening

Sorry to disappoint, but Emma Watson left over a year ago. She was only on a 1 year transfer from Brown.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford in the evening

When I said "local" girl, I actually meant that. She didn't just do a year at the University. She grew up in Oxford, went to school there for several years and her family live in the city.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxford in the evening

Henneth is indeed correct. She was educated at the Dragon, then Headington Girls School, and she has been in the city a number of times when at Browns. That being said, however, I doubt if she'd appreciate being approached by fans when she's out with friends trying to have a personal life.