We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

Helo all,

2 questions for you guys.

1. Am heading over to Heathrow in mid-April, and will rent a car to drive to Oxford for work at Mini plant. Am renting a car from Avis. Are the rental cars there Left-hand drive or Right-hand drive? Can you request either, or is it potluck?

2. Will arrive late afternoon Saturday, but have Sunday free. Looking for "touristy" things to do on Sunday. What tours are open on Sunday? Looking for something historical to see. Not Stonehenge--am going there next trip. Looking for something I would not see during a weeklong stay in London later in summer. Mid-50's male, traveling alone. Any suggestions?

Thanks

oxford
Level Contributor
288 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

Just a thought too, you say you are arriving mid April, our Easter holiday starts fri 18th to Monday 21st, on Easter Sunday in uk retail stores are not permitted to trade, all attractions/museums will still be open, but may be busier than usual

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

Thanks, Pooh, for the useful information. I am there a week earlier than the holiday, so no problem with dates. Will certainly keep Blenheim as a strong possibility,

Appreciate your suggestions.

ER

Michigan
Level Contributor
754 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

ER,

I second the suggestion that you consider taking the coach (bus) from Heathrow, or you could even take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then grab a the Oxford train (which I believe runs on the half hour). The train wouldn't be the most direct or cheapest, but it's another fairly simple way to get there. I guess the trick is how simple it would be to finally hire the car in or around Oxford once your tourist stuff is through. If I were you I'd just spend the available day walking the town. If you do a bit of research ahead of time you'll know the spots you'd like to hit, and the town is very walkable. You certainly wouldn't need or want a car. Be sure to make time for a pub or three.

Not quite sure why so much offense seemed to have been taken to your initial rental car questions. I've always found the forum to be fair game for any and all questions. If you were sure about something I assume the question wouldn't have been asked.

Safe travels.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

Sorry about the Gastapo Rick . If you really do only have the Sunday to explore, I would just take in Oxford, wander arounfd some of the colleges have a few beers in some of the pubs mentioned and just chill out. Maybe take a walking tour to get a feel for the place, many have boards dotted around the city with meet-up times.

As to whether you need a car that is another matter, depends where your accomodation is, the factory is a bit out on a limb but there is a pretty good transport system in the city and getting from Heathrow to Oxford is a doddle on the bus.

If you need any more specific info just shout

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

"Sorry about the Gastapo Rick "

What's a gastapo?

16. Re: 2 questions here. transportation and sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:16