We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money do I need?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guayas Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How much money do I need?

I'm staying 4 weeks in oxford, and casually visiting london. Accommodation and sightseeing and attractions already paid, almost 1 week food paid, and I'll basically eat whatever cheap food supermarkets sell. I plan on going shopping but not for expensive things. How much money do I need?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money do I need?

We spend about £100 per week on food for a family of 3.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,479 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money do I need?

How much have you got?

No seriously, you can either decide that you will do whatever you like, buy whatever you want and it will just cost what it costs.

Or, you can decide that you have so much you can spend each day then you tailor your spending accordingly. So if you overspend one day you economise on another.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
957 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money do I need?

A big factor in the cost of your food will be the facilities you have available in your accommodation to store and prepare food. If you have nothing then you are reliant on "eat and go" whereas storage/refrigeration/cooking facilities will widen your options and make it a lot cheaper.

Guayas Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money do I need?

Well, I'll just have to spend on 3 weeks lunches and transportation in oxford and somedays to london. And the rest is for whatever I want. How much should I take with me?

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money do I need?

I think you need to do a bit of independent thought and research here, rather than relying on others to tell you how much money to take. This is a travel advice forum - not your parents!

Personally, I would usually spend £5 on lunch from (say) Pret A Manger, but you could buy bread and cheese from a supermarket to make sandwiches for the whole week for that. You say you want to go shopping but 'not for expensive things'. Well, what do you mean by 'expensive'? I think £3.70 for a pint of beer is too much, others think it's OK. I wouldn't dream of buying clothes from French Connection because they're 'expensive', yet others think it's cheap and cheerful.

Look at some links for restuarants in Oxford to see whether you'll be eating out a lot or not.

Look at supermarket websites (Tesco, Sainsburys) to see average prices for basic food.

A return bus ticket to London is about £20. A week's pass on buses in Oxford itself is £15.50.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 18:01
Guayas Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money do I need?

I've reserch it all. Do you think 500£ Is okay? , I still have like 300€ for any big thing I want to buy!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
957 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money do I need?

Provided you are not extravagant - more than enough.

Guayas Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money do I need?

Thank you! I'm really excited with this trip! :)

9. Re: How much money do I need?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations