We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Oxford transport questions

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Two Oxford transport questions

We'll be taking the Airline coach from Oxford to Heathrow at 7:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning, but need to get to the coach station from our B & B (Lakeside Guest House on Abingdon Road). What are our options for a taxi service early on a Sunday morning?

Also, we plan to visit Blenheim Palace from Oxford. Is there any need to pre-purchase tickets for the Stagecoach bus (S3 bus service) that runs to Woodstock?

Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
994 reviews
from US$81.30*
Oxford, Cotswolds...
1,267 reviews
from US$126.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access Day...
93 reviews
from US$168.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Warner Bros. Studio and...
46 reviews
from US$138.80*
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

Just ask your B&B to recommend a cab company, then phone them.

It's not necessary (nor really possible) to buy tickets on city buses in advance

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

Thanks Flanner - I appreciate your response. Stagecoach bus does appear to have an advance purchase feature on their website; hence my question - but I couldn't imagine why that would be necessary.

I'll take your advice on just asking the B&B host about taxis. I was more concerned about whether taxis are readily available early on a Sunday.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

I'm not sure how much luggage you'll have with you - but if you are feeling fit it's only just over a half mile walk (10 mins) from your guesthouse to the Speedwell Street stop for the Airline bus to London.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

Thank you, pcw12kcox. I hadn't considered that there may be a closer stop. We will have small, rolling suitcases, so walking is something to consider. It may be a bit tight as my mom walks very slowly and that is very early in the morning, but at least I'm now aware and can take that option into consideration.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

You'll certainly be able to get a taxi so even if it's too much of a walk you'll be ok.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

Thanks Angie - that's reassuring. I think a taxi will be a better option for us. Should we arrange for one the day before, or can we just call for one that morning?

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

Should add that I will contact the B&B, as I'm sure they can advise (as per Flanner's suggestion). Just figured I could ask here as well. Thanks to all of you for your replies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

Definitely arrange the cab in advance. If you know you need it, why wouldn't you?

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

Of course - thanks!

10. Re: Two Oxford transport questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Oxford