We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go for Summer VIIIs or punting?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
T M
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Go for Summer VIIIs or punting?

We are looking to do a day trip to Oxford the weekend of May 31-June 1 - day not chosen yet. I am a rowing fan so I think seeing the Summer VIII finals on May 31 would be fun, but I would assume the river would be too busy then to try our hand at punting. Does anyone know how the course is laid out and whether we can fit both activities in that same day? If we can't, I guess I would have to decide whether to be a rowing spectator or come on June 1 or 2 to see if we can go punting somehow. We've never tried punting so I would assume a guide is the way to go? Any advice? (And do people actually do this or is this some trick for Americans? :) )

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go for Summer VIIIs or punting?

Rowing is on the Thames. Punting on the Cherwell, which is a little tributary river. So yes they both go on on the same day without interaction.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Go for Summer VIIIs or punting?

You can watch the Eights on the Thames near the college boathouses then walk back up to Magdalen College and hire a punt from there on the Cherwell.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
938 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go for Summer VIIIs or punting?

The other place you could hire a punt is the Cherwell Boathouse. Links for both locations as follows: http://www.oxfordpunting.co.uk/ and www.cherwellboathouse.co.uk

T M
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Go for Summer VIIIs or punting?

Thank you all! This is great news. I appreciate it.

5. Re: Go for Summer VIIIs or punting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 07:15