We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

Does Bus 85 in lffley continue South from the intersection of Meadow and Churchway to the second entrance to Mill Lane?

Then turn right there onto Mill Lane and continue the short distance until Mill Lane rejoins Churchway heading North? [effectively just making a U-turn.

The small bus Icon on Mill Lane has no bus # indicated but says “N-bound, Hail and Ride.

Is that actually bus # 85 and can I “hail and Ride” anywhere along Mill Lane and then ride all the way into the center of Oxford?

If so what is it's closest stop to Gloucester Green Bus Station?

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

As far as I can work out, the Stagecoach 85 runs only three times a week (stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…2089.pdf).

The nearest stop in the centre for almost all routes is in George St: about three mins (when my legs don't work properly) from Gloc Green bus stands. Use Google Maps, or http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/ or transportdirect.info to input your full starting postcode (as in OX99 9ZZ or the like) to George St, Oxford.

All routes I can find involve a 12 min walk (which is assumed to be the time for people whose legs are working) to the nearest stop in Iffley (normally for a no 3 bus). For most people with restricted mobility, that can mean using a taxi.

There are taxpayer-funded workrounds (see https:/…dial-ride-0 and http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/decD/Transport_Accessibility_occw.htm) but in practice they require involvement with bureaucracy, and most of us find hailing a cab a great deal easier.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

Flanneruk: Definitely not the answers I was hoping for, but I very much appreciate your inputs and insight. So much for buses #85 and #3.

You wrote,

"For most people with restricted mobility, that can mean using a taxi. “

and later

“... most of us find hailing a cab a great deal easier.”

I am not adverse to Taxis.

Assume that I am at St Mary’s Church,[Mill Lane] and have finished my day of exploring Iffley.

- How would I go about getting a cab?

-Would I need a cell phone? if so, I would have to rent one.

-Are there Taxi Stands or Taxis nearby?

- Approximate fare from the church to a central oxford bus stop?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
995 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

Let me answer some of those questions!

1) There are no cab stands in Iffley (note spelt with an "I" not a "L") so you would have to phone to get one.

2) From memory there are no telephone boxes in Iffley located nearby which you can use.

3) You would therefore have to use a mobile phone if you wished to order a taxi. If you already have a US mobile phone then provided it can cope with the world wide standard of GSM then you can use it here. The cost may be high for a call - but may be cheaper and easier than getting a UK sim or mobile.

There is another option. I'm not sure how far you can walk - but if you could walk 1/3 mile (500 yards) then you can cut through from Iffley Church to Rose Hill and catch the number 3 bus from the Oval terminus. Frequency is every 10/15 mins - timetable and details here: …oxfordbus.co.uk/timetables-fares/…timetable

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

Pcw12kcox:

You said,

<< "There is another option. I'm not sure how far you can walk - but if you could walk 1/3 mile (500 yards) then you can cut through from Iffley Church to Rose Hill and catch the number 3 bus from the Oval terminus. Frequency is every 10/15 mins - timetable and details here: …oxfordbus.co.uk/timetables-fares/…timetable >>

Outstanding. The cut-thru and Bus # 3 will work fine.

As long as there is a handrail or wall to steady myself against, I can manage 20 to 30 steps and I can walk 1/2 mile or so between stops.

On Google Earth [Street View] I followed the route that you suggested. It appeared to be quite flat [less than a 50 foot elevation rise]. With the church, cemetery, old stone walls and narrow roadway the route is very picturesque. There is even a park bench in the cemetery that we can sit on.

Thank you very much for your help. Also for pointing out the proper spelling of Iffley [I not L]

Bill

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
995 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

Don't get too excited! The cut through is on a slight upwards incline - and the road at the end that leads to The Oval, Lenthall Road, is a typical suburban street and not that picturesque!

6. Re: Mobility Limited Senior seeking Bus information in Lffley,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations