We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

Hello everyone,

we will be in Oxford in September and we would like to make a day trip to Stratford. We are on a budget, so organised tours are out of question.

What is the best way to get to Stratford? I found a train that leaves at 9.36 and would get us to Stratford at 11.16. In the afternoon we could take the 17.35 train back to Oxford (it´s the only one with just one change that leaves in the afternoon). Would six hours be enough to explore Stratford?

And are there any other more convenient ways of getting to Stratford from Oxford?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Wander Oxford Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Cotswold Exploring
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Oxford City Walk
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

I'm not convinced there's really a lot to see in Stratford - but perhaps you'd best ask that question on the Stratford forum. As regards getting there another option is a bus service - but the 2 hour journey may put you off...http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_34393_50-50A.pdf

2. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2016, 18:17
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

I don't understand your thinking.

There are more or less hourly return trains (certainly on weekdays), with the last one (involving no changes) leaving at 2315, which gives you time to see a play - the only point, in my view, in going to Stratford at all.

True, many need two changes - but so what? They're often quicker than the one-change alternatives. Why on earth would you find that a problem?

4. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 14:25
Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

@Diz: Thank you for the info about the bus + train alternative. I will check that out. Also - what we want to do there? Just wander around the twon, visit some of the properties, maybe visit a tea room etc. :)

@pcw12kcox: Thanks for the tip about the Stagecoach service.

@flanneruk:

I am not travelling alone but with two members of my family, none of them can speak fluent English - so they wouldn´t understand a play, so play is not really what we are visiting Stratford for. We would rather just walk around the town, visit some of the properties.

Regarding the changes:

Some of the connections only offer five or six minutes for the change and I would rather not have to hurry up my almost seventy year old grandma, just so we could catch the train. So, that´s why I would rather have just one change, not two. There´s also another train with just one change at 20.49, that would be a possibility too.

Also our hotel is not in Oxford, but in a village next to it, so we have to catch a bus there and there´s no bus after midnight.

Also - we are considering visiting Warwick Castle instead of Stratford.....would that maybe be a better option?

6. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

Removed on: 03 February 2016, 18:18
Edited: 03 February 2016, 18:18
Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

Thank you again for the tips! I will check all of them out! :))

And my grandma is definetely alright with walking around the town :) I don´t think the hop on hop off bus is a necessity for us. :)

Considering where I am from, no place in the UK is a budget destination for me. So I am just trying not to spend too much money, when it´s not necessary. :)

I will talk to the other people travelling with me and we will decide if Stratford or Warwick would be better for us. :))

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
193 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

I am also thinking of doing the same. So was 6 hour enough in the end? We are not catching a play too (again non english speaking companion). Just prob want to walk around the town.. Curious to know if 6 hours is enough as I can't really judge how long it takes to visit all the Shakespearean sites.

Edited: 30 March 2015, 02:45
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

6 hours is more than enough time to see Stratford upon Avon- especially if it's a wet day! On my list would be to see the classic architecture of the RSC (Royal Shakespeare company) which looks on to the river and is nice to take picnic to or buy snacks by river. Besides the Shakespeare birthplace, you could alternatively or in addition visit Tudor World, which may appeal more to younger folks and costs much less to visit at c £4-5 instead of £15+ birthplace. Tudor World do an excellent city guided tour on weekends with a costumed Shakespeare actor called Kingsley. Highly recommend his tour (and I am a tour guide!).

For anyone who may return again within a year, the ticket for the Shakespeare birthplaces can be used again for free within a year! You could also stroll down along river to the church where S. is buried.

10. Re: Day trip from Oxford to Stratford-upon-Avon

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2016, 07:17