We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

Hi- I will be coming from the US to Reading for approx. 3 months for business and I'm looking for a short-term let. I have found a couple possibilities, however I am at the disadvantage of not knowing the "good areas" of the city- can anyone tell me the areas that would be safe for a female professional?

It would also be a plus to be near the train and bus route to Green Park.

Thanks!

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

Caversham is quite nice. My sister used to live there.

Reading
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

The buses to Greenpark depart from the town center and straight go to the Greenpark without going through the residential areas much. So you need to stay close to the town center/rail station. There are some serviced apartments on/around Queens Road which should do the job for you. The area is relatively safe if you ignore/stay away from the alcohol addict youngsters.

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

I moved to Reading three months ago, and live near the centre of town. I've not yet found anywhere where I feel unsafe but there are always hoards of 'hoodies' and boozed youngsters around in the evenings.

In the run up to Christmas my walk home from work was spent skipping past the blokes peeing up a wall, and the walk back to the station the next morning entailed playing 'skip the piles of vomit on the pavement'

But it's the same everywhere :-(

Oh, and one thing I really have noticed here more than other places is that cyclists use the pavements rather than the roads, I've had several near-collisions.

But, it is a lovely place to live, honest!

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

Hi,

I moved to Reading 3 years ago and work on Green Park :o)

As long as you stay away from the Oxford Road / Reading West station area you will be fine. Having said that, Reading is in the end, a pretty safe place to live. Just be sensible as you would in any city.

The buses to Green Park only depart from St Mary's Butts and the station. They're pretty frequent, one every 7-8 mins. A 12 trip ticket costs £12.

We probably live as close as you can get to the Green Park bus stop, in the Katesgrove area: Henry Street, Dorothy Street, Sherman Road, Centurion Close, Alpine Street (if your looking on a map)

Barbie

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

Reading is as safe as any city! Green Park is a typical edge of town business park, and was designed to be car friendly first. Relying on the bus to get to and from work will tie you to the town centre (with all that brings, see earlier posts). If you can contemplate getting a bicycle, practically anywhere within a few miles will do you fine. If I were you I'd start my search in the Town Centre or the University area. Green Park will also be handy for the Madejski Stadium - watch out for top class football coming soon; it already has top class rugby.

Reading, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

I live in Caversham, this is a 15 minute walk to the station (and bus stop to Green Park) and is by far and away the best place to live in Reading.

The only downside is parking, but if you don't have a car you'll be ok.

As stated above, don't even contemplate Oxford Road, Reading West station area. Also avoid Whitley and Whitley Wood (very close to Green Park).

UK
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

Caversham is a lovely area to live. As others have mentioned, the area around the Railway station isn't too hot.

Reading, UK
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

I am slightly offended by the comments about the Oxford Road area. Having lived there for the past 23 years I can honestly say I have never encountered any trouble. The only people who get into trouble are usually thise who cause it! I would avoide Cemetry Junction in East Reading and Whitley though.

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

hey, I live near Cemetery Junction!!

Oxford Rd isn't all bad, by any means, but there are less savoury sections of it.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe Neighborhoods in Reading

Tina sparkle one has to have a thick skin or a couldn't care less attitude to remarks one is likely to get on this forum I can't remember much wrong with Oxford Rd but other places mentioned thanks but no thanks - not even if some one bought me a house in that location Gerlis

Get answers to your questions about Reading