We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn South - Basingstoke Road

UK
Level Contributor
601 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn South - Basingstoke Road

We are going to be staying here for 2 nights soon and I have a day to fill while my husband is working. Is there a nearby shopping centre I could visit - will have car transport.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn South - Basingstoke Road

Yes there is the Oracle right in the centre of Reading, plus all the shops out on the high st.

Or you could drive to Marlow, about half an hour away for lots of little boutique type shops. Or Henley for similar. Or Windsor and visit the castle as well.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,234 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn South - Basingstoke Road

All good suggestions from Joe. If you're thinking of going by car, parking is already crazy, even thoiugh it's still November. If you're heading in to central Reading, I'd suggest taking the bus from just near your hotel straight in to the town centre.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn South - Basingstoke Road

If you are looking for a all you can eat type pub meal then try the World Upside Down which is less than a mile from where you are staying in towards Reading.

Its run by Crown Carveries, a chain group. They have a carvery at £3.69, which is remarkably cheap, but I can vouch for it as we eat there every time we go shopping in Reading. Choice of three meats (or all if you want), six or seven veg and luvverly gravy. Terrific value, and it gets crowded. The carvery is on till 9pm Mon - Sat but its double on sundays.

Don't leave any valuables in your car, the estate round behind your hotel has some very dubious characters, but it is a safe area.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn South - Basingstoke Road

I would concur with the bus into central Reading. The no. 6 is frequent and regular.

You do need to have the exact money though, as they use fareboxes and the drivers don't give change. Ask for a return, which is £3.40

I've included links to the timetable, and to a map of the route and stops so you can see where to get on and off.

reading-buses.co.uk/files/…20maps.pdf

reading-buses.co.uk/files/26Sept11htmls/6MFf…

5. Re: Holiday Inn South - Basingstoke Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:16