We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
224 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Hi TA experts,

I will be visiting the Peak District ( planning to go farthest Castletown ) but mostly will be based in Sheffield city. According to my google search, Firstgroup South Yorkshire fare guide site has weekly passes for Sheffield and South Yorkshire. Since Castletown is not in South Yorkshire ( from google map ), from which company and which website can I purchase a weekly bus pass that covers Castletown, Hope and Hathersage.

Many thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
South Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
Yorkshire, UK
10 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Hello

If you buy a first weekly South Yorkshire pass, then the first bus 271 and 272 is included, that will take you to Castleton.

The first website is not totally clear, but the 271 and 272 may be included in the first weekly Sheffield ticket (it would save you £7 I think).

Hope that helps, enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
South Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
Yorkshire, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Shelley is correct and the answer is (partly) confirmed on this page - firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/tickets/ticke… However a cheaper option might be to purchase a "FirstWeek Sheffield" ticket, then when you travel outside Sheffield purchase a "FirstXtra" ticket from the bus driver, which costs £1 per trip) - see www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/viewticket.aspx… .

Bear in mind though that some journeys on services 271/272 are provided by different bus companies and you cannot use a "First" ticket on their buses.

There are also many other places in and around the Peak District that you can visit by bus from Sheffield - Chatsworth, Bakewell, Eyam, Tideswell, Buxton for instance. The buses to these places are not run by First but if you want to know more info about them, let us know.

P-t-B

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
Peak District National Park, UK
Buxton
Buxton
Derbyshire, UK
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
224 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

I would like a weekly pass that allows travel to and from Sheffield and the Peak District. First South Yorkshire 7 day pass looks most applicable but it seems like it might not apply to travel to Bakewell ( TM ) or from Miller's Dale ( Peak ). Can't seem to find the single fare from point to point ( e.g. Sheffield to Castleton ) or might it be that for such a trip I need to get a all-day pass ?

According to derbybus.info, some of my destinations south of Castleton can be reached by other operators so a weekly pass from First alone with not suffice. Or have I missed out something?

Edited: 28 March 2018, 09:41
Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
South Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
Yorkshire, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Unfortunately there is no weekly bus pass that you can buy that will take you on all of the buses in the Peak District.

The only ticket that will allow you to do this is the Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket - see derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_tra… . However there is no weekly equivalent of that ticket, so you have to purchase a separate ticket every day.

If you are simply using one bus service on each day, such as to go from Sheffield to Millers Dale and back on service 65, the cheapest way to travel would probably be to purchase a day return ticket on that bus - that will probably cost about £6. However it you are visiting several places in the same day, then a Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket would be worth considering.

If you can give us a bit more information about your planned itinerary, then I will try to give you some specific advice.

Phil-the-Bus

Mentioned in this post
Derbyshire
Derbyshire
England, UK
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
224 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

I thought there would be a weekly pass that works across all operators but it is getting clearer now.

Other than Day 1 in Sheffield, here’s what I am thinking of doing :

Day 2 : Walk west from Sheffield base to Forge Dam then south to Abbeydale Miniature Train. Bus back to Sheffield. ( that’s only 1 bus ride for the day )

Day 3: Bus/train from Sheffield to Edale then head out to Jacob’s Ladder and do a bit of the Penine Way before looping back to Edale. Head back to Sheffield.

Day 4: Bus from Bakewell. Walk to Millers Dale ( Monsal Trail ). Return to Sheffield from Millers Dale.

Day 5: Bus/Train from Sheffield to Hathersage and move out to see Stanage Edge. Return to Sheffield.

Day 6: Weston Park Museum, Ponderosa and nearby after morning church service.

Day 7: Bus from Sheffield to Ladybower Inn (trail head) to explore Ladybower Dam and Bellmouth Overflow.

Day 8: Sheffield to Castleton. Stay in Castleton on Day 8 and Day 9. I plan to explore Mam Tor and nearby caves.

Day 10: Take a bus from Castleton to Sheffield and then transfer to coach bound for Manchester. (Coach ticket is already booked)

Many thanks, Phil-the-Bus!

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
Monsal Trail
Monsal Trail
1,288 Reviews
Bakewell, UK
Stanage Edge
Stanage Edge
421 Reviews
Hathersage, UK
Sheffield Weston Park Museum
Sheffield Weston Park...
354 Reviews
Sheffield, UK
Ladybower Inn
Ladybower Inn
585 Reviews
Bamford, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Wow - you have certainly got that holiday well packed !

There is certainly no weekly ticket that is going to cover all of that, but if you are going to need to use a "First" local bus in Sheffield almost every day, I think I would probably buy a £13 "FirstWeek Sheffield" ticket on day 2 or 4 and then purchase a £1 First Xtra add-on ticket when using the bus to/from Castleton and Hathersage.

I would also suggest doing day 4 the other way round as the buses to/from Millers Dale are less frequent than the buses to Bakewell.

Finally on day 7, you might find it more interesting to head towards Derwent Dam rather than Ladybower Dam, as the bellmouth overflow at Ladybower is not that interesting to see - particularly if it is not overflowing !

Out of interest, What time does your coach leave Sheffield on day 10 ?

P-t-B

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
Derwent Dam
Derwent Dam
297 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
224 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Thanks for taking the time to look through my lengthy travel plans, Phil-the-Bus.

My commute out of Sheffield to Manchester on the last day will be on the National Express, departing at 1.05pm. I will have to check out from Castleton and catch a bus back to Sheffield early that morning.

Thanks for the Bellmouth Overflow tip. It looked awesome from photos but yup, it will be underwhelming when the water level is low. I will have to rework the commute to/from Derwent Dam back to base using First pass.

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Derwent Dam
Derwent Dam
297 Reviews
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

The Bus to Derwent is the same as the one to Ladybower - Hulleys service 273 - see derbysbus.info/times/…273H-180325.pdf .

The reason that I asked about the time of your coach is because if you decide to catch the 1000 bus 271 from Castleton to Sheffield, that is one of the journeys that is operated by Hulleys and so a "First" weekly ticket would not be accepted on it. However the buses from Castleton at 0910 and 1100 are operated by First and have the advantage of normally being double deckers (Hulleys buses are single deck).

Note that if something goes wrong on the last day, there are plenty of trains to Manchester from Hope Station, which is a 10 minute bus ride from Castleton (these are the same trains that you will be using to get to Edale).

Enjoy your trip

Phil-the-bus

Mentioned in this post
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
224 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

Great information, esp the buses from Castleton to Sheffield. I will have to plan accordingly to maximise the First Pass.

One more question, as the buses from Sheffield to Millers Dale (65) and Bakewell to Sheffield (215,218) are operated by TM, should I get a TM Yoyo Plus orTM Yoyo South Yorkshire Pass (One day)?

Many thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Bakewell
Bakewell
South Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
Yorkshire, UK
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )

The 65 bus is no-longer operated by TM Travel - it is now run by High Peak Buses.

A single fare on each bus is therefore likely to be the cheapest option on that day.

P-t-B

Reply to: Is there a weekly bus pass ( Sheffield to Castletown )
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted