We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
588 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

Hubby and I are off to meet friends on Friday at Moreton on Marsh. But we are leaving North Wales after dropping daughter off at school at 9am so I have persuaded the other half to find a scenic route and take in somewhere in Shropshire for a nice lunch as we have all day (my god, am so excited to actually have some time with my beloved that I am making the most of it)

So which route and which village / town. We like scenic, love walking and lovely pubs for lunch; Help !!

Mentioned in this post
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Shropshire
Shropshire
England, UK
La Dolce Vita
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean
Etzio
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza, Mediterranean
Moli
£, Chinese, Asian
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

How about taking the A5, then getting on to the A458 (past Shrewsbury) and stopping at Much Wenlock for lunch. I haven't been there myself but it has good restaurants reviews on TA, and looks like a nice little village. (I've been to Ludlow, which is lovely, but it's a town, not a village.)

Mentioned in this post
Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury
Shropshire, UK
Ludlow
Ludlow
Shropshire, UK
Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

Church Stretton (on the A49) is a lovely little town with great walks on the Long Mynd.

http://www.churchstretton.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
Church Stretton
Church Stretton
Shropshire, UK
The Long Mynd
The Long Mynd
240 Reviews
Church Stretton, UK
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

I would heartily recommend The Three Tuns in lovely (but largely unknown)Bishop's Castle : http://www.thethreetunsinn.co.uk

Mike

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
588 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions; not heard of Bishops Castle Mike but I am off now to do some 'research' and have always wanted to stop at Much Wenlock and Church Stretton so maybe do a different journey on the way home and do it all !!!

Mentioned in this post
Church Stretton
Church Stretton
Shropshire, UK
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

I'd also recommend Ironbridge because of its beautiful and historic iron bridge - it's also a lovely little village set on a hill.

Mentioned in this post
Ironbridge
Ironbridge
Ironbridge Gorge, UK
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

Nobody's ever heard of it Anna - which is precisely why it's so great. Think Trumpton, with great pubs.

Mike

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

The quickest way to shropshire would be A55 to Chester, A483 South, A5 to shrewsbury then depends where you decide to go. Hwever you mention a nice scenic drive so an alternative would be A470 to Betws then work round to Bala. B4391 over the Berwyn hills is stunning, then follow on to Welshpool. Bishops Castle is about 15 miles further you would be there late morning (unless you make lots of stops for views). Church Stretton is a little further then move on to Ludlow.On your return journey visit Bridgnorth, Much Wenlock and Ironbridge. However be warned you will only have chance for a little taste of each place and you Will want to return.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Bishops Castle
Bishops Castle
Shropshire, UK
Church Stretton
Church Stretton
Shropshire, UK
Ludlow
Ludlow
Shropshire, UK
Bridgnorth
Bridgnorth
Shropshire, UK
Ironbridge
Ironbridge
Ironbridge Gorge, UK
8. Re: Nice drive; nice village; any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Shropshire
Recent Conversations