We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's on in Shropshire?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
What's on in Shropshire?

We are going on a much awaited trip to the UK in April and will be Shropshire April 15 to 30th (some of this time will be in Yorkshire though). Just wondering if there were any local festivals or events that are highly recommended over this time? Looking at staying in Ludlow, Shrewsbury and possibly Bishop's Castle. Cheers!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

Hello! If you don't stay in Bishops Castle, make sure you visit it. Exceptionally attractive and interesting little place yet almost completely off the tourist trail especially for international visitors.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

Hi,

have a look at www.shropshiretourism.co.uk

It is a really easy site to use! Congratulations to Shropshire!

Bob

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

Bishops Castle has a couple of excellent pubs that brew their own delicious beer.

Graham

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

Another vote for BC - the Three Tuns is a fantastic pub and The Castle Hotel a great place to stay.

Trip report after ?

Mike

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

Thanks for the info. We're thinking of staying overnight in Bishop's Castle now. Would people recommend this over Ludlow?

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

Depends what you are looking for. Ludlow is a bigger town with more choice in accommodation eateries and things to do. Has a castle which you can look round even though in ruins, has nice walk down by the river, beautiful old buildings, museum, entertainment at Ludlow Assembly Rooms.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

...whereas Bishops Castle is untouristy with beautiful walks, quiet streets and brilliant pubs. I like Ludlow - but BC is the one to go for in my view.

Mike

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

I think we're going to stay 2 nights in Bishop's Castle and 3 in Shrewsbury - with a day trip to Ludlow and Ironbridge Gorge. Ludlow seems like somewhere that can be enjoyed during the day. Can't wait!!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

Have a good trip. Hope the weather improves for you, If we can be of further help let us know.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's on in Shropshire?

You asked about local festivals. I'm not aware of anything during your stay but should you still be in the area the following week then just over the border in Machynlleth there is what is fast becoming one of the leading comedy festivals in the UK, from 3rd to 5th May. The focus, obviously is on comedy and each show is individually priced and mostly very reasonable (£5 to £10) with some well know names but there is also a tent with music and a number of other events, many of which are free.

BTW - I'm sorry I missed this thread sooner but I don't think you can cover Ludlow and Iron Bridge in a day and enjoy it. Do you mean two separate day trips. I like both Bishop's Castle and Ludlow and I think you will definitely get an unusual and 'away from it all' vibe in BC but I would normally recommend Ludlow to visitors. There is more to it and in my view it is one of the loveliest small towns in England.

If you're in BC and driving and reasonably fit, there is a superb walk from nearby Mainstone village up the hill and down one of the best preserved sections of Offa's Dyke. It is at its best on a sunny day in Spring with Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers singing in the trees, Sky Larks overhead and wild flowers galore. It's a round trip and needs a few hours.

Shrewsbury has improved in recent years for entertainment. Several pubs have live music at the weekend, with the Loggerheads and the Anchor having performances on Fridays and Saturdays almost weekly. Blues Boy Dan, a local lad who is making quite a name for himself on the Blue scene (Google him) is in The Loggerheads later this month. It could be busy. We were in The Anchor for a few hours on Saturday night when there were two punk rock bands (honest!) playing classics from the seventies to an audience ranging from about 18 to 80. Good beer is served in both pubs and The Loggerheads is worth a look at any time for a floor plan that has barely changed in 250 years.