We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unsatisfactory hotel

cornwall
1 post
Save Topic
unsatisfactory hotel

I recently stayed in the Prince Rupert Hotel and was extremely disappointed. ��105 a night was what i paid to stay in a room the felt more like broom cupboard. The bath took 10 minutes to run 3 inches of water and the toilet seat would slip to the side when you sat on it. 50 pounds per night would be ample for a room of this condition. Another couple we were travelling with had a room which had a light that did not work, greasy stains on the headboard and again, a toilet seat that moved when you sat on it. We complained to the owner and all she could say was that she could book this room 6 times over and if we were not happy that we should book out now - great customer service. This sums up over pricing in this country and I would suggest to anyone who would want to stay in this hotel do not stay in room 306 or 308 and check your room first. In fact next door, The Bull Inn is a 50 pound bed and breakfast, check that out first or try somewhere else!

shropshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

I disagree entirely with the above. I stayed at the Rupert for two weeks not so long ago and the service could not have been better. The staff are hard working and helpful. The food was second to none. Our room was lovely.

Yes, you may try the Bull Inn which, by all accounts, has nice accommodation (five bedrooms I believe) but they are over a pub. OK if you like that sort of thing - I dont personally.

The Prince Rupert Hotel is consistently booked up and often by repeat customers - which is proof enough of the standard to which I refer. I guess it's a case of "you cant please all the people all of the time", and how one person's experience can differ from another's.

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

I agree with Lorzy,

The Prince Rupert is living in the past from it's previous good standard which has gone down hill, very overpriced for such shabby rooms. The Bull is much more better value for money and I have have visited many times just for a drink and never found it to be a very noisy pub.

I do find Shrewsbury 123 comments a bit dubious. From a previous forum post on Shrewsbury he/she owns a hotel in the same street as the PR and The Bull so why would they be staying at the PR?

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

I agree with Lorzy,

The Prince Rupert is living in the past from it's previous good standard which has gone down hill, very overpriced for such shabby rooms. The Bull is much more better value for money and I have have visited many times just for a drink and never found it to be a very noisy pub.

I do find Shrewsbury 123 comments a bit dubious. From a previous forum post on Shrewsbury he/she owns a hotel in the same street as the PR and The Bull so why would they be staying at the PR?

shropshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

Hi Lardy

Well spotted! Yes, I do have a house on Butcher Row which I hope puts your suspicions to rest.

We had a house fire a few years back (front page Chronicle) and our insurance company put us up at the Rupert for two weeks prior to us finding a rental whilst renovation work was carried out.

I have no flag to fly in favour of the Prince Rupert over The Bull for instance, and can only comment on my own experience of staying at the Rupert for two weeks. And having lived opposite The Bull for several years, I can assure you that at times it has been noisey. Fortunately, since being taken over by new management who also now provide bed and breakfast, it has quietened down considerably which is great for all concerned.

What I suggested in my comments was that personally I prefer to stay in a hotel rather than an 'Inn'.

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

Fair comment,

Ps I hope you eventually sorted out your problems with those idiots from Cheshire or wherever they were from. Good to see local business's taking a stance.

regards

Lardy

shrewsbury
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

I quite often pop into the Prince Rupert for afternoon tea and have been doing this for several years - though have never actually stayed as a guest, so I cant comment on room standards. What I will say is that I have always found the reception and waiting staff to be utterly polite, friendly and helpful.

I firmly believe that if you treat people with respect, you will get the best from them - and that goes for hotel staff . The trouble with some tripadvisor postings (particularly it seems people who only post once) is this. Usually the 'complainer' is miffed over something which is more often than not quite trivial - perhaps the 'owner' of the hotel wasn't humble enough, for example. Who knows.

"Two sides to every story" pops to mind!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,732 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

For what it's worth (and I have no opinio about the Prince Rupert or The Bull) I an always a bit sceptical about these sort of attacks from people who make one single post and never return. You'd think that someone who felt strongly enough to sign up for TA would at least check back to see if their critique had had any responses. Still, nice to know there are other Shrewsbury folk about on the forum.

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

I second that Panda c

north lincolnshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

totally agree with comments, public area fine and staff but rest of the place overpriced dirty shabby and does not live up to the public image of the front of building. perhaps the person in question Shrewsbury 1234 has lower standards to the rest of the forum, this is why they get away with this kind of service to hotel guests, always some kind of mug to accept low standards of service.I for one would not return to the hotel.

north lincolnshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: unsatisfactory hotel

totally agree with comments, public area fine and staff but rest of the place overpriced dirty shabby and does not live up to the public image of the front of building. perhaps the person in question Shrewsbury 1234 has lower standards to the rest of the forum, this is why they get away with this kind of service to hotel guests, always some kind of mug to accept low standards of service.I for one would not return to the hotel.

Get answers to your questions about Shrewsbury
Recent Conversations