We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Washington State
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Can anyone recommend a good pub with a variety of ales from which to choose, say within a 20 minute walk from the railroad station? Thanks!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

I'm not an ale drinker myself but I think you have quite a choice. The railway station is quite central and is on Castle Foregate where there are pubs or you can go a bit further up the hill into town. Armoury is very nice on the river and serves ales.

There is a web site www.beerintheevening.com which gives you all the pubs, distance from the station and has reviews also maps which would probably help if no one else comes up with any suggestions.

Washington State
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Thank you for that link. It's much better than the other site I was using in regards to finding pub locations. Thanks again!

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

I would also recommend The Armoury and you should definitely try Three Fishes in Fish Street - always has a great selection of real ales.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Another vote for The Armoury - pretty good food and an excellent selection of real ales, malt whiskies and usually one or two good ciders.

Very easy to find from the railway station - just walk up to the pedestrian crossing (opposite Vincent's taxis), cross over and walk slightly right, past the pizza takeway place on the corner. Around the corner and just keep going, passing the bus station and a pub called The Proud Salopian. A couple of minutes further, keeping the river on your rhs and you will be outside The Shrewsbury Hotel (this is part of the JD Wetherspoon's chain, loved and loathed in equal part by many - but they do often have a good range of beers and they're often cheap). From here, keeping the river and bridge on your right, cross the road (with care) and take a few steps right to go around the corner - The Armoury is a few yards further on. At a guess, ten minutes easy walk, probably less.

The ambience is quite upmarket for a pub. No music, no games machines etc. and they get quite busy with a mainly middle-class/professional crowd, so it doesn't appeal to everybody but if you find it too much, then enjoy a couple of beers and backtrack to the Shrewsbury, where the clientele are rather different. If you're hungry, then try to get there early because it can be difficult to get a table in The Armoury later on. The food is probably half the price in The Shrewsbury but IMO it's at least twice as good in The Armoury. We eat and drink in both fairly often.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
545 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Shrewsbury is awash with good Real Ale pubs and almost all are within striking distance from the railway station.

Loggerheads, 3 Fishes, Armoury, Salopian, Coach & Horses and the Admiral Benbow all come to mind.

<*))))))><

Mentioned in this post
Loggerheads
Loggerheads
84 Reviews
Shrewsbury, UK
The Coach and Horses
The Coach and Horses
251 Reviews
Shrewsbury, UK
The Admiral Benbow
The Admiral Benbow
7 Reviews
Shrewsbury, UK
Wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Which of those serve good reasonably priced tasty food?

Wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Which of those serve good reasonably priced tasty food?

Shropshire
Level Contributor
545 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

All do food apart from the Benbow (it might even do food too)..

Basic pub food in the Loggerheads, posh burgers at Salopian, 3 Fishes is always busy at lunchtime and early evening with foody people. Coach and Horses has a huge eating area round the back.

Depends what you want to pay and what you want to eat really.

<*))))))><

Mentioned in this post
Loggerheads
Loggerheads
84 Reviews
Shrewsbury, UK
Shropshire
Level Contributor
545 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Forgot the Armoury, expensive, classy, often full of young gentlemen farmers and horsey women eating well.

<*))))))><

Washington State
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pubs near Shrewsbury Railroad Station?

Well, we went to Shrewsbury last week, found the Armoury on our walk and had a very enjoyable meal. The bartender was very friendly and answered my questions in regards to the ciders and ales on tap. Thanks to all that recommended this place to me. A definite thumbs up!

Get answers to your questions about Shrewsbury
Recent Conversations