We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

wigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

We are looking to visit one of these for a week in summer, whick is the nicest for a family with a seven year old child?

We want somewhere with nice cafes, pubs and restaurants a nice beach and some nice walks.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,311 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

I would say Minehead because there is a long sandy beach, steam train, double decker bus that goes over the moors and villages serving cream teas in thatched cottages. A castle with ghost tours & military re-enactments.

You can walk, long or short in some lovely places. Many children like playing in the rivers at Tarr Steps or Horner Water, both have tea rooms.

There are children 'crabbing' from the old harbour throughout the summer,

There is the west somerset rural life museum with a victorian schoolroom where the children can dress up and write on slates etc.We also have an award winning local icecream maker (the cows are across the road from the factory) cafes & resturants from large to small along the seafront and through the town.

It is unique in that you have beach, woodland, cliffs and moorland in walking distance from anywhere. Most are served by bus (antique and new) so you needn't drive if you don't want to.

There is a Best Western Hotel with a swimming pool tho I think its a bit pricey in the summer. But loads of other places of all types and prices.

I don't know much about Weston except it has a long sandy beach.

If you do decide to go to Minehead let me know and I can give you more info on where to find these things.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 19:45
wigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Thank you Sue,

Minehead sounds lovely.

The castle will be a must for us, we love anything like that.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,311 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Look forward to seeing you. I can be found at the cafe or sitting on the harbour most sunny days with a cup of coffee and friends because its only the nice tourists that make it that far.

Here are a few links to get you started.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-dunstercastl

www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk

www.quantockmotorservices.co.uk/news/page/2/

http://www.discoverysafaris.com/

http://www.exmoorwildlifesafaris.co.uk/

Must aget around to doing a travel article!

Sue

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
980 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

I would also advise Minehead over Weston which has a big beach (but beware of tide and its quite exposed ) and they have a great pier and a big wheel. Minehead much smaller but better range of attractions close by. The train can take you to Dunster castle (Dunster also has an old working water mill which is interesting ) and also Watchet fishing harbour. You also have Butlins Somerwest World at Minehead. I am not sure if you can still get day passes but they used to be fun days out with the kids.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Definitely Minehead and Somerwest still does day passes according to its web site.

Plenty of walks available - have a look at Rambling Sals posts here on the Somerset Forum (when she stayed in Dunster last year) and the SW Coast path starts from nearby.

Beaches I'm afraid are not really the selling points of either Minehead or WSM, for that you need to go further along towards North Devon or alternatively to Dorset, East Devon or South Devon.

Penguinofdunster
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Absolute rubbish. Weston super Mare offers a diverse range of activities and one of the best beaches in England, despite having some weird tides. There's shopping, Paxton park (great for families) and the best pier in the world. No - its not the prettiest chocolate box town that mine head is, but it's close to the M5 and main line railway, not at least an hours bus or drive from either.

You takes your money and all that...

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Definitely Minehead! As a child (from age 2 to 12) I spent annual family holidays in Somerset. My Dad always booked us into a farmhouse B & B near Bridgewater & my favourite day out was always to Minehead. And my favourite bit of Minehead was visiting the RNLI Lifeboat Station! I still go there now when down that way.

Dunster Castle is an absolute must!! And of course you can always have a day out to Weston for a change & for the beach.

Barnstaple, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Myself and Family are from Barnstaple in North Devon, and have spent many occasions in Minehead over the years. Minehead is a lovely place as is North Devon, however a car is a must for total flexibility to see it all. However we have also just spent a couple of days in Weston and Brean Sands. Weston Sea Front really impressed us greatly, very well presented withs new Pier, train rides and especially its Water Adventure Play Park by the Arch down the north end on the sea front. Our three kids loved it thoroughly and we will return soon, but a choice of the two locations, chalk and cheese they are, can only have one winner, and my opinion would be biased so I will remain quiet. My suggestion try them both.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Definitely Minehead for all the above reasons, only @Penguin I wouldn't describe it as a 'chocolate box' :), there are however several chocolate box villages dotted around Exmoor- the beautiful countryside that surrounds Minehead.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minehead or Weston - Super - mare

Minehead by a mile: plenty in the town, plus Exmoor and the small north Somerset towns and villages close by. You would need a car though.

Weston is.....Weston.