We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay near Taunton

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay near Taunton

Hi there, we are going to be visiting taunton in July this year and was wondering if there are places nearby that we shouldnt miss. Also is Chard quite close by ? We are wanting to stay in some nice accommodation and thought that the Cricket St Thomas Hotel looked amazing.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay near Taunton

Well, 'shouldn't miss' depends on what interests you, some sort of indication would help.

Taunton to Chard is about 17 miles, on good roads, 45 minutes tops (I assume you will have a car).

The AA Route Planner website give distances and routes.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,483 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay near Taunton

As Roman says, what are your interests, how long are you staying and how are you getting around?

It is not clear why you need to be in Taunton. For business or pleasure or just passing through.

Chard, though a lovely area is not particularly a holiday area.

If you are staying in Taunton you are only 25 miles from Exmoor National Park with ancient harbours, beautiful river valleys and thatched cottage villages in spectacular settings with lots of pubs, places to eat and tea rooms.

Edited: 27 April 2011, 09:56
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay near Taunton

Oh yes, sorry about not giving enough information. We are from Sydney, and we are following my son who is playing cricket against some of the English schools , but also want to do our own thing.We will have a car. We have 2 nights in Sherborne, 2 nights in Taunton , 2 nights in Cheltenham and 2 nights in london. We would like to stay in some up market accommodation but also don't mind charming Inns....with good food.

. We like playing golf, old english pubs, historical sights, good food . We travel a lot and we don't mind travelling far distances . I love photography and picturesque scenery. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay near Taunton

I have heard mixed reports about the Cricket St Thomas Hotel. It is a Warner Hotel which means lots of activities available but you may like that - quite expensive too I think.

If you want alternative suggestions how about the Mount Somerset Hotel (a Van Essen hotel so quite expensive) or Farthings Country House Hotel. Both are south of Taunton towards Chard.

I've visited both but never stayed but know people who have stayed and they get good reports.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay near Taunton

thank you so much...i will have a look at both of those.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay near Taunton

The Castle Hotel in Taunton and the Bindon House near Wellington would both be on my list.

Exmoor, the Quantocks and the Blackdowns are picturesque and close by to Taunton. I personally wouldn't bother with Chard unless you have a pressing need to go there.

I like Hestercombe Gardens which are just outside Taunton and you could easily spend a couple of hours there.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,483 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay near Taunton

Excellent idea about Hestercombe. Been meaning to go there myself shortly when the irises are out. The roses are in full bloom in July and I haven't seen the restored woodland, folleys & lakes. Would take 1/2 day.

Another thought if you want a cultural trip there's Dunster Castle, with a whole ancient village, interesting small shops (inc a Chocolate Shop & 2 jewellers) and a hotel/ pub/resturant, the Luttrell Arms which used to belong to the castle. So fabulous and different for lunch. Very good food. Allow 1 day.

The Castle Hotel in Taunton is also noted for its food.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 22:57
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay near Taunton

Amazing !!!! Thank you all so much...i am so loaded with ideas and am really looking forward to my trip ! Cheers !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay near Taunton

Ok I am all booked and organised for Taunton and Sherborne and now will will be spending 3 nights in...or around Cheltenham . Any ideas for accommodation, food and places of interest ?

Thanks

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay near Taunton

Cheltenham is in Gloucestershire so, if you haven't already, I suggest you post there too.