We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Somerset holiday

Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Somerset holiday

Hi everyone,

Myself & OH are planning a week (or so) in Somerset in August. I know it may be a long time to spend just in Somerset, but we want to relax & enjoy ourselves & not spend all our time in the car!

So far on my list I have:

walking to coleridge way - does anyone know of a place we can park & get a transfer back to the car?

Cheddar

Longleat (possible stay in Frome)

Montacue house

Wells (and walking in mendip hills)

Clevedon

Porlock

Selworthy

Is this all do-able in a week & is there anywhere I should add/remove from list?

Really appreciate all help as have not been to this part of the world before.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,302 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ideas for Somerset holiday

It is likely that in August Cheddar and the roads around Glastonbury & Well are going to be chock a block! including the sights and the car parks. If you are up for that You are going to need 1/2 day for Well Cathedral (a full day to see all round the sites) and same for Glastonbury.Probably most of the day at Cheddar.

Well done you for finding a way to do the other bit. Go for tea at Selworthy while your there. Some lovely easy walks in the hills there and a unique church there. Will post some ideas for around Porlock later.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,302 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ideas for Somerset holiday

www.allerfordmuseum.org.uk

www.doverymanormuseum.org.uk

www.cliffrailwaylynton.co.uk

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-coleridgecottage

exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/index/visiting/pl…

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…w-dunstercastle

or just sit on Porlock Weir or Minehead harbour with a drink and watch the world go by.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Ideas for Somerset holiday

Hi try Theolddairy.co.uk. Lovely b&b 5 mins from nether stowey

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ideas for Somerset holiday

Other thoughts

(Army) Tank museum (Bovington, I think!!! (towards bournemouth - depends on where you're based) kids would love this....Lyme regis (include golden cap walk, Bridport)

Swanage (Corfe castle, said to be Enid Blyton inspiration), Studland bay...stunning

Lulworth cove (abandoned village)

Fleet Air arm museum Yeovil/Ilchester

too much to do and see, great location somerset!!!!

Dorset
Level Contributor
203 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ideas for Somerset holiday

Hi.

Post 14 has given you some great ideas but most of them are about 70 miles from the area you are looking at staying in. They are also in Dorset - not Somerset - with the exception of the Fleet Air museum.

The abandoned village is called Tyneham - if you do decide to go check opening times at www.dorsetforyou.com

Both counties are great locations with lots to do anyway.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ideas for Somerset holiday

Apologies for poss "double-post" original post16 not showing....

Somerset is a large county, and OP seemed to want to travel well within the county

Porlock to cheddar to Montacute. My thoughts were of "striking from the eastern side of the county.

Lyme is abt 20 miles, Bovingdon 40 miles.

I am sorry for any misleading info, but these are to me "must see" places

17. Re: Ideas for Somerset holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:17