We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to stop for lunch near M5

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Good place to stop for lunch near M5

Hi

I was wondering if someone could suggest a good place to stop for lunch not too far off the M5 in either Gloucestershire or Somerset.

I have a drive down South soon and it would be good to break the journey up somewhere around this area. I am looking for somewhere reasonably peaceful (obviously, I realise there may well be motorway noise and potentially railway noise dependant on which side of the motorway the establishment is) and not really built up. Somewhere easy to find and with good access would be great.

I have looked quite a bit and everywhere I have found gets some stinking reviews on TA so it is back to the drawing board.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Suzi

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
833 reviews
from US$163.63*
US$192.50
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
442 reviews
from US$99.80*
UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

hi

if you are heading ultimately for Cornwall, Clevedon near Burnham on Sea is about half way (assuming from Lichfield) and there is a wide variety of options to dine along the promenade eg pub food / cafe food/ fine italian and you can relax and take in the views in what is imo a lovely quaint and quiet locale.

Come off at J19 towards Portishead it's c. 9 miles from the junction.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 16:21
UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

sorry, it's nearer to Weston than Burnham... oops! ... but thats a good thing as far as distances go !

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

Hi

Thanks for your reply. It sounds lovely but, unfortunately, 9 miles is much further than I want to venture off the motorway. Realistically, I don't want to go more than about 2 tops.

Suzi

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

ontourUK is mistaken about the distance Clevedon is off the motorway. Clevedon is right by Junction 20 of the M5, don't come off at Junction 19 for Portishead, that is pointless. Come off at Junction 20 , turn right at the top of the slipway, fly over the motorway, go straight ahead and after a couple of a hundred yards you will come to a roundabout. You are now in Clevedon!

Quickest way to the seafront is to turn left at the roundabout and just keep following the road round. After about three quarters of a mile or so you'll come to a small park, above which you can see the seafront promenade (it's elevated at this point so you won't be able to see the beach at this point). There is a pub called the Salthouse up a small road immediately before the park. Otherwise, take the road which goes off to the left parallell to the seafront and you'll come to the Little Harp pub. Both of these have lovely views. If you want to keep on, you can go left again further on to the seafront by the Victorian pier, which has a variety of cafes, restaurants and another pub. I'm sure you'll find something to suit you. Clevedon isn't at all rowdy, it's a very quiet resort.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

Hi Christabel

Thanks so much for this information. That looks just the ticket, not too far from the motorway at all, relatively easy to get to, lovely location and with great views. What more could I ask for?

I am so grateful for your help :)

Suzi

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

thankyou for the correction, Christabel - satnav's are useless sometimes !! LOL!

Edited: 12 September 2012, 08:51
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

I'm sure satnavs have their uses, but I've yet to discover what they are. I won't have one near my car! LOL!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

The Knowle Inn at Bawdrip is 1.5 miles off the M5 J23, take the road towards Glastonbury. I have never eaten there, but beer is fine.

theknowleinn.co.uk/how%20to%20find%20us.html

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

I don't bother with satnavs either. I use a good old-fashioned map and I've never come unstuck yet. I don't like doing unclassified roads unless I have an OS Map for the area or I have the time to suss it out first. Hence why I like Maunsel Lock but wouldn't go there when I'm after a convenient and quick stop-off.

I have seen so many people not watching the road and looking at their satnavs nearly causing accidents and you hear all the stories of people getting stuck so I will stick to my map.

I'm definitely going to check out one of the Clevedon places as it looks totally wonderful and much much better than anything I was expecting :)

Thanks.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good place to stop for lunch near M5

I have checked out the reviews on these two pubs at Clevedon and they are terrible so it is back to the drawing board.

Does anyone else know anywhere?

Thanks.

Suzi