We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Hi, I am travelling to England. I hope to stay in Taunton, Somerset. Which are good Hotels? Please don't give me shortcuts to booking sites, I want to know which is going to be the best to stay in. Money isn't really any hinderance, but it needs to be somewhere that is near the centre of town, but easy to get around from. I also would like to know where I can go to see things of interest, I like History and Scenery, but not Museums and Art. WHere can I eat in the area, and does it get busy? I leave in a few weeks, and will be there in June. I may get a car, but is it really needed with trains and buses available?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Free parking for Castle visitors.

Don't risk drink driving.

The problem of course is that you want to experience pubs a

Here's some strategies for your visit:

Taxi's - I say "out in the country" but that can mean from 2 to 15 miles from town, still an affordable taxi ride.

Designated driver - not sure if you're traveling by yourself, but if not just switch off on the driving.

Train - Take the train to Bath or Exeter, that way you can have drinks with your meals and explore pubs and not worry about driving. Also, a few miles outside of Taunton is the southern terminus of a steam railway that runs several trains a day out to Minehead and stops in several little towns along the way. Not practical for an evening out, but if you spent all day exploring the sites and pubs along the way you won't to drive. You can bus or taxi back to Taunton from there.

Spend the night - A lot of these country pubs are Inns with rooms to rent, (cheaper than The Castle) and if you pick the right place will be within walking distance of another village and pub. It is light enough for walking until almost 9pm and its still 8 more weeks of lengthening daylight. (you get at least 30 minutes of good twiglhlight after official sunset). For example, the village of Exford has two nice pubs and tea houses, and footpaths to the village of Withypool with another great pub. How tempting to stay in Exford, nip over to Withy to stir up the natives there and then beat a retreat in the fading daylight back to Exford. I've only explored Exmoor a little bit so I'm sure there are plenty of examples.

I forgot to mention that Taunton has a Cricket Ground (walk from hotel) and a horse race track outside of town.

I'm curious, why Taunton as your base?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Thanks for the information, I certainly won't touch alcohol if I have a set of car keys within a metre of my hand. As to why Taunton, well that's a long story. I had a friend that lived there a while back, he worked at the map making company in the town. He told me many things about the area, so it seemed a good place to visit, unfortunately he's not there any longer.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Jack, you are an amazing font of information. You are really getting into the "neighborhood" like a visitor.

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

I think you are referring to the Hydrographic department - they made the admiralty charts- for the sea not maps for the land. I worked there myself 25 years ago. I think if thats your only reason for visiting Taunton I would try some of the other areas mentioned by other contributors- particularly Wells and Bath. Exmoor is very beautiful - try Lynton and Lymouth. Taunton is very handy gor the motorway and mainline trains but its not the most beautiful town.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Actually pilgrim51 it's called the Hydrographic Office, or more correctly the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office. I know a few people there, what's your name, I could mention you to them.

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

it was 25 years ago

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

and it was the hydrogaphic department then

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

there's always the 'alcohol free' lager..... I think it's called 'Kaliber'......

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

SAMustTravel,

Have a look at another thread, mainly between myself and Jack1066, but just added to by Britfan (And there I was, thinking it was a private thread!)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190730-i3161-k592…

It may be of interest to you.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

What? Have I interrupted something? Email would be better if you don't want other people around.