We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Hi, I am travelling to England. I hope to stay in Taunton, Somerset. Which are good Hotels? Please don't give me shortcuts to booking sites, I want to know which is going to be the best to stay in. Money isn't really any hinderance, but it needs to be somewhere that is near the centre of town, but easy to get around from. I also would like to know where I can go to see things of interest, I like History and Scenery, but not Museums and Art. WHere can I eat in the area, and does it get busy? I leave in a few weeks, and will be there in June. I may get a car, but is it really needed with trains and buses available?

Thanks.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

sorry britfan, I was merely jesting, I hope that I have not offended you. You are welcome to visit the surrounding areas of Taunton, any time.... You can even come into Taunton, but not if you want a decent Pub!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Thanks Kuhal, some of the pubs sound good.

pilgrim, what have you got against Taunton? Did the Hydrographic "Department" upset you? My friend worked there from the early 1970's, he may have known you, and you him. He may even have mentioned you to me. He said there were a strange bunch there!

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

SAMustTravel,

No problem, most of us are here to help. If you do come here, post a reply on this thread, maybe I can buy you a local Cider!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Hi SAmustTravel

Read the posting by lindlee1 on the UK forum about her one day trip by public transport to South Wales from Bath - managing the open air National History Museum at St Fagans (it's not a museum in the conventional sense but a large woodland park with buildings rescued, restored and fully furnished in authentic period setting from all over Wales), and from there bus/ train journey to Caerphilly Castle (the largest in the UK after Windsor). South Wales is easily reachable from Somerset by car or train.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

If I was spending 3 weeks holiday in the west country I would opt for staying several nights in several different places rather than staying in just one spot.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

We stayed in Wiltshire over Easter. Had a fantastic time. Booked a house through www.hideaways.co.uk - very nice.

Witshire isn't too far from Somerset. I would highly recommend Longleat House, gardens & theme park. for a day out ..You can purchase passport tickets at a reduced rate from the internet. This will allow you to visit all the amenities. Fantastic for kids or adult kids. We went to Stonehenge - enjoyed that. Go to Shaftsbury - lovely old town. I found Taunton to be a nice enough town but was very dissapointed with our hotel. Clean but no atmosphere. Go to Wookey Hole and Cheedar in Somerset. - enjoyed that.

Hope you enjoy the trip

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

SA Must travel

give me a break - I have nothing against Taunton - I was born not that far away from the place. But lets be realistic - its OK but not the most beautiful town and certainly no comparison to Wells for example. My understanding of these forums is to try to be helpful. No point in anybody participating in these pages if they have to revert to personal comments. If I was coming all the way from Cape Town I would hope for some realistic comments and not purely pastisan waffle. Somerset is a lovely county, often ignored by visitors to the UK, lets tell them about the very best bits - Taunton is probably a reasonable base because it has good road and rail links but get out and see the rest of the county.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

pilgrim I don't understand. I asked for places to go with Taunton as a base. I asked who you are, but have had no answer. My dear friend, no longer with us, said Taunton would be a good base to see Somerset from, yet you seem very negative. You say "I would hope for some realistic comments and not purely pastisan waffle. Somerset is a lovely county, often ignored by visitors to the UK, lets tell them about the very best bits - Taunton is probably a reasonable base because it has good road and rail links but get out and see the rest of the county." Please explain what pastisan waffle is, I thought it was a breakfast or some food. I was asking about the rest of the county, yet you seem to be very anti Taunton, and talk as if you did not enjoy being there so long ago. Please explain to me why this is, as I have very sentimental reasons for visiting. I do not understand how you can be so heartless.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

SAMust travel,

If you have sentimental reasons for visiting Taunton, that's perfectly valid and as you've waited a number of years for this - of course, you must do so.

Taunton is a market town, has large trading estates on the periphery - has good road and rail links, it has a large shopping centre with national stores, and other shops, this means there's employment available - and the usual restaurants, cafes and pubs. It also has a large hospital and a couple of churches. But it is not picturesque, does not have an historic cathedral or abbey, no really elegant buildings, etc.

It does have a museum in the castle - a geology section and a natural history section - and the Light Infantry military museum.... so if those things interest you - that would be fine. But it is just an ordinary town like many others in other counties and regions - fine for working / living in - but it wouldn't even spring to mind as the sixth or seventh place to recommend for a visit in Somerset ! There are so many more beautiful towns, cities, villages, stately homes, thatched cottages, medieval cathedrals.... etc. all over Somerset not to mention beautiful scenery ....

So - stay in Taunton if you wish, of course - but we're just trying to show you there's more out there... and better... ! You wouldn't thank us after your holiday if you were disappointed with what you found (or didn't find !) in Taunton and missed all the other beautiful places that we've mentioned so far !

Pilgrim was only trying to explain that Taunton is not the sort of place that immediately springs to mind as a place representative of the county to which you would send a visitor looking for a place for a holiday and to visit for cultural/tourism reasons.

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: What Can I Do for Three Weeks In Somerset?

Dear Nolana

thanks- thats exactly it. I really have nothing against Taunton in itself.

Pilgrim

Get answers to your questions about Somerset
Recent Conversations