We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast in bath...

Taunton
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Breakfast in bath...

Ok, so the Beaujolais it is for one evening (assuming I can get a table). Will need to find another restaurant for the 2nd evening but... What about breakfast... would love a full english(the works egg, bacon etc..) but not having it at the hotel as they charge £13 per person.....

Any recommendations?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast in bath...

Jolly's department store in Milsom Street do an English Breakfast... but I don't know how much they charge.

A good English breakfast, is in a restaurant/cafe at the corner of Westgate buildings and James' Street West just beyond the roundabout.... near one of Bath College's buildings.... the entrance is in Westgate buildings. I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the place, nor the cost of the meal.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
134 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast in bath...

If you want cheap and plentiful - there is a Wetherspoons next to the cinema - coffee 69p

Cafe Retro behind the abbey is quite nice for brunch as is the Riverside cafe

Blckstones kitchen/restaurant has just started doing breakfasts - sounds nice, haven't been yet but it's usually very high quality.

If you want greasy spoon there's matty's cafe on the lower Bristol Road - a little out of the centre

Taunton
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast in bath...

I was hoping there would be a little cafe somewhere in the centre near our hotel that we could stroll to.....

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast in bath...

Dogleash, did mattys used to be known as Bill's Bar?; that was a greasy spoon, but a great breakfast.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast in bath...

If you're still booked into the Francis in Queen's Square, then the closest is probably Jolly's - the back entrance is just off Queen's square, at the top corner near Gay Street in Old King Street.... there's a cafe place at ground floor level there, (don't know if they do English Breakfast there) and there is the 'terrace cafe' around the second or third floor I think, where they do the breakfast, up the back stairs next door to the ground floor cafe.

Otherwise, there's a cafe above the delicatessen on the corner of John Street and Quiet Street.... you go from Queen's square - same side of the road as Francis Hotel out through Wood street,which becomes Quiet Street just as it meets John Street.... I keep meaning to try it - so I don't know if they do an English Breakfast... I apologise for not knowing the name of the place... I tend to go for the shop/restaurant, without memorising its name, because I only remember the position of the place ! Old age ? Amnesia ? Alzheimers ?..... nah ! I think it's the place... not the name that's important, so long as you can find it ! No squirrel needs to name the trees to find its winter hoard of nuts, does it ?

....which reminds me of an anecdote (don't know if it's true) I heard once - that when they were naming the streets, the architect John Wood kept interrupting...and the person in charge shouted: 'Quiet ! John Wood ! ' so amid the laughter, they decided those three streets would be named Quiet Street, John Street and Wood Street......

.... ummm ..... true ? who knows.... someone might !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast in bath...

By the way, John street turns into Old King street - so you could do a little stroll - check each of the three eating places for the English Breakfast , and end up in Jolly's if the first two don't do it.

You can get a street map from www.multipmap.com

Bon appetit... buon appetito.... have a good breakfast !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast in bath...

chickencrazy.... do let us know where you find your nicest breakfast, won't you.... I'm sure there are others lurking on the forum... all over the world.... hoping to hear so they can do the same when they get to Bath !

Taunton
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast in bath...

Nolana,

I love the one about the squirrels LOL........

I am so excited about going to Bath u wouldn't believe it has been soooo long since we had a break away for any length of time our life is work, animals, work, animals work.... you get the picture....

So I think we deserve a cooked breakfast when we are there both mornings, I'm passed worrying about my dress size ha, ha, so it will be eating and drinking non-stop. The other half knows nothing about it - he will find out on the morning when he wakes up and I put him in the car with a picture of bath ales.. for a clue.. Incidently is there really a bath ales as he is a real ale drinking (well along with his wine making!).... if there is such a thing as a brewery tour...........

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast in bath...

I know very little about beers and ales (despite having slurped the froth off my father's beer mug, at home as a small child !)

You're in luck.... there are brewery tours.... you can find out about the two breweries from the following websites

www.abbeyales.co.uk/

which says its the only brewerery in the city of Bath for over 40 years

www.bathales.com/contact/index.html

which says they are a ‘microbrewery’ situated between Bristol and Bath ...... the address is at Warmley, Bristol…

Best of luck !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast in bath...

brewerery ? ? ? No.... I haven't been sipping beer froth.... !