We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to bath need some help

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chester uk
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
going to bath need some help

planning on going to bath for a weekend can anybody reccomened a nice hotel and places to eat?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to bath need some help

I went there to eat one evening to discover that many of the cafes close at 6 after the coach tours have gone. We found a choice of nice places to eat near the theatre, where more is going on in the evening. I am sure there are other places too, we just didn't find them.

chester uk
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: going to bath need some help

thanks dave what hotel do you recommend?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,657 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to bath need some help

Have a look at www.visitbath.co.uk for some ideas.

The Royal Crescent is arguably Bath's finest hotel and for something different you should try a Sally Lunn Bun or take tea and cakes in the Georgian atmosphere of The Pump Room.

Bath
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to bath need some help

There are lots of great places to stay in Bath - visit the Tourist Info's official website at www.visitbath.co.uk for accommodation listings and special offers.

Give me an idea of your budget, parking requirements etc - and I can make a few suggestions

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to bath need some help

Apart from the Royal Crescent Hotel ...another hotel for 'splashing out' and spending lots of money ... is The Bath Spa hotel - set in gardens with rare trees and plants etc. - just behind Sydney Gardens, quite central really, just up the road from Great Pulteney Street. Famous people have stayed there, just ask them ! There's a number of hotels in Great Pultney Street... or in North and South Parade....But the best bet is to contact the tourist information office - they'll find you one that's in your style and suits your pocket, and they can book for you too.

Places to eat.... well - again, that depends on price and type of cuisine ! There's a chinese restaurant upstairs in the Podium that does a flat rate for all you can eat.... there's a famous fish and chip shop behind Marks and Spencers..... there's 'Fishworks' fish restaurant (and seafood shop downstairs) in Green street. There'a another fish restaurant whose name escapes me in George Street (road across top of Milsom Street) and a couple of Italian restaurants in the same street.... there's.... well - I could go on.... please be more specific ! Hope you have a nice time in Bath. Best wishes, Nolana.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to bath need some help

Would recommend Haydon House (check out www.laterooms.com). About 12 min walk from centre of town. Do the free walking tour (starts at the pump house) also have tea in the same Pump House. Sally Lunns a bit of a disappointment for anything other than tea and a bun! Enjoy, it is a lovley city.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going to bath need some help

Ritabix is right, I agree that people can be disappointed with Sally Lunn's. Its fame has made people have high expectations - but basically, it's only a 'tea shop'...and they try to jazz it up a bit with 'meals'. I had 'welsh rarebit' on a Sally Lunn bun (you only get half of a bun whatever you order - either the top half or the bottom half) with a salad garnish, it was delicious, and I thought I was better value for the same price as the 'Sally Lunn bun cream tea' that my husband had ! I think people are disappointed because they don't realise that a Sally Lunn bun is just a 'bread' and expect more from it. It's fine for a snack or a light lunch and you are sitting in what is 'believed to be the oldest house' in Bath... on the site of mediaeval monastery land that belonged to Bath Abbey.

As you leave Sally Lunn's - look up at the frontage of the houses - right up in the gable - (stand well back into the little 'square' in front of the building) and you'll see an owl nesting in the 'niche' in the gable.... a stone owl, of course !

Sally Lunn's people say it's for 'luck', and link it to the Godess Minerva whose symbol was an owl, and the Roman Baths... but some of the local guides will tell you it was put there because 'niches' were put in the gables in medieval times to encourage owls to nest in the gables, as there was no proper sanitation and raw sewage was tipped into the centre of the street where there was an open drain....you can still see the depression up the middle of the paving.... and of course.... the owls would eat the rats ! Sorry... have I put you off your tea ? !

The free tours that Ritabix mentions, that leave from outside the Pump Room/Roman Baths, in the square outside the abbey, are guided by the Mayor's Honorary Guides (volunteers), look out for their badges - you don't want to be snubbed by trying to attach yourself to some private tour group ! There are another couple of places to eat light meals in the same street as Sally Lunn's - and an old-fashioned 'sweet shop' with all those 'penny sweets' English people remember from childhood - e.g. shrimps, flying saucers, barley sugar sticks, sherbet dibdabs, liquorice sticks etc. Enjoy your visit ! Nolana

chester uk
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: going to bath need some help

Thankyou all for those great suggestions i am really looking forward to my stay THANKS AGAIN ANNA.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: going to bath need some help

Hello evanskerr ! Glad we could all be of help. Do post back on this so that we can all hear a review of how you enjoyed your trip ! Best wishes, Nolana