We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local beers/ales

connaught
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
local beers/ales

hi im visiting bath shortly and am wondering what local beers/ales the locals drink..many thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Special Offer
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
835 reviews
from US$163.07*
US$191.80
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
444 reviews
from US$99.50*
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,261 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local beers/ales

Abbey Ales is our local brewery, you will find their brews in many local pubs.

They are a fairly recent company, much older is Wadworth of Devizes, their 6X has been my favourite for years (and is also my 23 yo son's favourite, what a good lad).

The Bell in Walcot Street usually has a good selection of ales, and will have music Sunday lunchtime (be warned, it is VERY Bohemian), but the place not to miss for lovers of proper pubs * is the Star at the bottom of Guinea Lane.

* 'proper pub' - a place where men go to drink good beer and have intelligent conversation, and women are welcome as long as they keep quiet and stand their round.

I've messed up my New Man credentials again, haven't I ?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local beers/ales

Many pubs in Bath have switched to offering a variety of ales, some of which switch quite regularly, so don't worry about asking what they taste like (if they can't tell you, best to leave the pub!). I WILL post again once the beer drinker in this house, err....is not out for a pint on the evening he gets an "exit pass", but here goes:

There are two (very) local breweries:

1) Abbey Ales

Their main ale is Bellringer. Do they have Marmite where you live? Bellringer seems to be a bit of a 'love it or hate it' beer, per my husband!).

They brew up the hill in Camden (suburb of Bath).

They own "The Star" up on the Paragon. This is a traditional pub - very traditional - (perhaps old fogey). On the basis of a leaving party for an old landlord several years ago, I'd say the regulars are very different at lunchtime compared to evening compared to weekends. It's won lots of awards and they also sell other beers.

They also own Coeur de Lion

This is a TINY pub in Northumberland Passage (just of Milsom St) - the previous owners had a bit of an issue with the tax people, I'd heard. Cute little pub, though, (sorry I haven't been there for a year or so). Great to sit out there in the Summer.

2) Bath Ales

Bizarrely, they don't brew in Bath! That said, several places here sell their beer. "Gem" is the regular ale. I am purely biased by how close this is to my house, but I would try that at The Salamander, which is owned by Bath Ales.

Otherwise, there are quite a few places that are really good for Real Ales. (and most good pubs wil have some good guest ales shipped in) I'm sure we could get more specific if we knew where you were staying

Or would you be willing to try....cider...proper cider, not Magners....?

In my defence I only drink a couple of pints of beer each year so it's best to wait until other people post. I think you'd like the Old Grenn Tree on Green Strret, but I can't remember what beers they sell (and it might now be crammed full of tourists rather than locals).

What sort of thing are you after? These aren't stag-night sorta pubs.

I'm a firm believer of just wandering around and just seeing what appeals.

If all else fails, or you hate our beer, there is an O'Neills off Kingsmead Square.

I am sure several regulars o this forum could be forced out on a research trip, so ask away!

connaught
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: local beers/ales

im visiting for a weekend with my girlfriend so hopefully i'll have lots of time to mosey around the quieter spots and sample the local delights. two great posts many thanks,keep em coming!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local beers/ales

I'd certainly recommend the Star (unique classic), Bell (for music & good beer) and Green Tree (very cosy and the back room was a haven before the smoking ban). All wonderful pubs which I miss since I tempted my partner to move up from Bath to Bradford many years ago.

I used to like the Hat & Feather too but I gather it is now a wine bar - very sad. Is the Old Farmhouse still worth going to - it used to be a good source of beer but noticed it has not been in Good Beer Guide recently.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,261 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local beers/ales

The Farmhouse now sells food, and has gone upmarket (has jazz nights I believe), Hat and Feather is a restaurant more than wine bar (supposed to do the best steak in Bath, but an old folkie like me won't go in there) but the biggest loss is the Beehive on Lansdown.

OK it stank of p*ss and dope, but at least you could get PROPER cider in there, not that Irish rubbish the student posers seem to love: this is Somerset, for Chr*st's sake !

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local beers/ales

Oh yes I remember the Beehive - certainly not one for the faint hearted! Shame it has gone now.

Bath
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local beers/ales

The Salamander is good, cosy and sells Bath Ales from Warmley, Bristol

The Green Tree I love for its oldie worldie and great range of bitters, yes it does have its fair share of old fogies but all other age groups as well. YOu go there for the atmosphere and the beer, so this attracts all types from 18 upwards.

There is more than one Royal Oak in Bath, but have a look at http://www.theroyaloak-bath.co.uk/

I think it won an award last year - pub of the year 2007 - Camra

If you want to take some beer to your room or home try Kingstone's, available in Waitrose Bath. A new up and coming microbrewery in Tintern. Bitter like it used to taste when I made it!! 1503 and classic Gold

That is all for now

Sorry if you have already visited

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: local beers/ales

Is the Hop Pole still going?? I think it used to be Bath Ales' brewery tap and always had Gem, Spa and Barnstormer on draught, plus did great food at lunchtimes too.

Went there a couple of years ago after a CAMRA trip to Bath Ales' place in Warmley.

hsj
London, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: local beers/ales

Yep the Hop Pole is still recommended - especially if you are staying on that side of town.

10. Re: local beers/ales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Bath