We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

Would be very grateful for advice on driving to the Uni avoiding Bath. I would probably take the M4 Chippenham turnoff but cannot work out the back roads. Any help would be must appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

www.theaa.com

or

www.viamichelin.com

fiddle with the options, eg "avoid motorways" or 'scenic route'.

Think of it as an entrance aptitude test......

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

You can avoid going through Bath by coming off the M4 at J18, taking the A46 to Bath then at the roundabout take the A36 in the Warminster direction (instead of turning right for Bath). Claverton is off the A36, on the right after Bathampton. This route takes you over the Bathampton toll bridge (50p last time I crossed it). The university is clearly signed, and there are also signs for the American Museum which is near the University. As Peterscot says, the AA route planner will help you.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

Hi

What time of day and day of the week are you travelling?

The road into Bath can seem long and slow but you can just skirt Bath to get up to Claverton without too much trouble after about 9am-3pm during the week.

Anyway, Orkneyfan's advice is a popular route, but they gave you a bit of confusing advice.

When you get to the end of the A46 (this becomes a dual carriageway in a deep cutting before ending in a motorway style roundabout junction) you need to get into the LEFT-HAND lane (signposted Batheaston, if at all). You need to take the first exit to take you along Batheaston High St.

IGNORE all signs for the A36, that will take you through town (the A36 is the other side of the river to where you are). If you find yourself on another dual carriageway bypass, you missed the turning and need to turn left when you get to the end of the Batheaston bypass.

About a 1/4 mile along the High St you will see a turning on your right going down the hill (there might be a queue of drivers trying to turn right here!). This road brings you down to the toll bridge across the River Avon. I think the toll might be 80p now.

Follow the main road round over the canal and up the hill through Bathampton and turn right onto the A36 (direction Bath and Wells, NOT Warminster).

You need to turn left at North Road (3rd turning there is a a big Georgian House facing you at this junction and the traffic splits 3 ways so you shouldn't miss it) and follow this road up the hill to the university.

If you do get lost, most people ought to be able to direct you.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

So sorry for the confusing directtions, I was "doing" the journey in my head - should have looked at a map! We have friends who live in Bath and we always take this route when we visit them. Of course, Sue is correct - you need to turn LEFT at the roundabout at the bottom of the cutting.

hsj
London, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

Silly question - but why do you want a different route? If you are coming into Bath at rush hour - ALL roads into Bath are bad!!!!

An alternative route to the A36 (as per OF and SDunc) - if coming from Chippenham - is to turn off the A4 at Corsham - over to Bradford on Avon - then Winsley and then up Brassknocker Hill onto Claverton Down. But again is painful at rush hour (but all roads are!)

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

Appologies, I have just read your post properly! (oops)

Yes, we do tend to get off the M4 at Chippenham (usually because we can buy food at the supermarkets in Chippenham without dtouring; they are quieter there!).

You follow the roundabouts in the direction of "A4 Bath".

You then drive through Corsham and Box then head towards Bath.

When you get to the railway bridge and roundabout (assuming you want avoid Bath - like my previous post) you need to avoid the bypass and follow the route a little bit to the right around the roundabout into Batheaston. The road across the tollbridge is 3rd on the left........then follow the last instructions.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

Tried it yesterday but couldnt find the Winsley Road..it was dark, will try again in the daylight when I next go up!

8. Re: Quicker route to Bath Uni (Claverton Downs) pls!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 05:17