We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese restaurant in central Bath

England
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Topic
Chinese restaurant in central Bath

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a nice, not too expensive Chinese restaurant in central Bath? Would you good to have some personal recommendations.

Thanks!

Rachael

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese restaurant in central Bath

There are four chinese restaurants in Bath, but as the say " One persons Chopsuey is another persons stir fry". Taste is something personal and its always difficult to recommend restaurants.

Edited: 29 January 2010, 10:01
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese restaurant in central Bath

Hi

For reasons I don't really understand, we seem to have a lot more Thai than Chinese restaurants. So there are only 4 that I can think of to choose from:

1) Peking House, Kingsmead Square http://www.pekingrestaurantbath.co.uk/

I think this place has been in Bath for several decades and has a fairly extensive menu (see online). The food is well prepared, and the service is attentive. I am happy to eat there.

2) Ocean Pearl, upstairs at the Podium Shopping Centre (above Waitrose)

http://www.oceanpearl-bath.co.uk/. You overlook the back of Pulteney Bridge. This is one of those "all you can eat" buffets, popular with groups of friends on a budget and families with children. There is plenty of choice and I would liken the quality of the food to that of a decent takeaway.

3) Hon Fusion, Claverton Buildings, Widcombe This is in the row of shops just across the river from Bath train station (so new, they haven't put a menu online yet). This is a Hong Kong chinese restaurant (just round the corner from my house so I am working my way through the menu). It always seems to be busy when we pop in for a takeaway in the evenings - lots of chinese eating there; a bit quieter at lunchtimes. The menu isn't huge, but there are quite a few interesting choices. Starters hover around the £4 mark, mains about £6 (seafood £8-10 ish). It's a smallish, cosy restaurant (I am guessing it seats about 30) so, when it is busy, service can be a bit erratic.

4) All you can eat(?) chinese in Kingsmead cinema complex

Sorry, I can't remember its name. I've never even looked at the menu.

Hope this helps

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese restaurant in central Bath

Definitely Peking House in Kingsmead Square. It's the best chinese food I've had and I've had a few! However, it is pretty expensive.

Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese restaurant in central Bath

We often go to the Hongkong Noodle Bar opposite the new Southgate Centre. Extremely good value for a quick noodle snack. For a more refined experience, I would choose the Peking.

Please check the Food Standards Agency "Scores on the Doors". One of the places mentioned above scores "0 out of 5" for food hygiene. So the perfect recipe for food poisoning.

You will also find astonishing results for some of the most popular places recommended on TA.

England
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese restaurant in central Bath

Thanks for all those suggestions, will have a look through and start salivating!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese restaurant in central Bath

I think you can tell from the postings that we are not inundated with great Chinese restaurants in Bath!!

For Thai, I recommend the Thai Balcony.

Good luck

A

7. Re: Chinese restaurant in central Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2010, 05:17