We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stansted airport to either Bath or York

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
stansted airport to either Bath or York

Hi, After a tour of the Loire, I am leaving the Loire district to go to England in September `10.

My choices are either to go back to Paris (which seems to be doubling up my travel), or to fly to Stansted airport with a cheap Ryan Air ticket from Tours.

If I do this, I am wondering about the best thing to do then. I am an older female travelling alone, well not that old really. Is there an easy way to get to either Bath or York from this airport? am I best going into London then getting a train to either place? I am thinking of hiring a car for a few days in either place, as I have been told the journey across England isnt really nice.

Thanks for your help, Cynthia

london
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stansted airport to either Bath or York

yes, you'll have to come into London from Stansted ... it's easy enough, catch either the Stansted Express train to Liverpool Street station or the coach (National Express or Easybus) to Victoria Coach Station

to get to York from any of the London airports you would have to come into London ... to get to Bath you would have to come into London from any of the airports except Heathrow

once you've decided which city you're travelling to, post another question here and we'll give you definitive answers

happy travelling !!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: stansted airport to either Bath or York

You would need to travel via London from Stansted Airport to Bath but that's not the case for York. To travel to York by train from Stansted Airport take one of the hourly trains to Peterborough then change there (same pair of platforms thus very simple change) for York. Trains are very frequent between Peterborough and York but best value is via advance tickets, timetable and booking: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

You can also book advance tickets between London Paddington and Bath via above site; again very considerable savings can be made. When booking advance tickets please ensure that you leave a decent margin for possible flight delays as these tickets are date and train specific.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stansted airport to either Bath or York

I've always found that for Stansted it's just as quick to go via London to get to the north.

It's slightly easier to go to York via London than to Bath as you get the Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, Victoria Line Tube to Kings Cross, then East Coast train to York. However that will be covered on a single ticket from Stansted to York so don't worry about the transfers

You could also drop down to Limoges for a Ryanair flight to Bristol which is near to Bath or Ryanair to Leeds/Bradford for an easy trip to York. In fact Limoges has a good range of flights to the UK

www.whichbudget.com/cheapflights.php?from=LIG

As a slight aside, have you considered flying from Poitiers to Edinburgh and visiting Scotland instead?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stansted airport to either Bath or York

Don't know who told you 'the journey across England isn't really nice' -they are talking utter twaddle, but I digress: to get to Bath the easiest way is to get a coach from Stansted to Victoria, then coach (National Express) to Bath.

You won't need a car in Bath itself (nor, I suspect, York) but if you decide to hire one to tour the area (Bath is on the Southern edge of the Cotswolds) then make sure you get accommodation with parking, as parking in the city centre can be difficult.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stansted airport to either Bath or York

thanks. Can you give me suggestions of a scenic route from York to Bath that doesnt go along motorways?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stansted airport to either Bath or York

www.viamichelin.com gives routes, maps, timings, and scenic routes if you ask it to.

You could visit the Peak District (National Park), and the Cotswolds (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, if not yet a National park).

7. Re: stansted airport to either Bath or York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations