We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting longleat.

staffs
Level Contributor
182 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Visting longleat.

Hi we will be driving down to Chichester and want to visit Longleat on the way so thought we would have a night nearby we want stay in an interesting vilage or town. Have done Bath thought we might stay in Frome or Warminster, which do you think would be best any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted, any good hotels out there?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting longleat.

No idea of your budget, but your Warminster options range from somewhere cheap on a roundabout (Travelodge) to something much pricier like Bishopstrow House or, further away, Homewood Park ( both Von Essen chain).

Right outside the exit to Longleat is a nice inn called The Bath Arms (good food), or perhaps look at the village of Heytesbury (the Angel inn there used to be very good - haven't stopped off there for a meal since there were several changes of owners including Anthony Worral Thompson so do check for reviews for the last couple of years).

I don't think Frome is well known destination for tourists, so I am not sure what hotels/B&Bs are there, but take a look here http://www.frometouristinfo.co.uk/index.asp

It's an old market town and there are quite a lot of old historic buildings tucked away and a few quirky craft shops (so you ought to be able to keep yourself amused for 30-60 minutes just window-shopping/exploring). The Merlin Theatre there sometimes has some interesting events.

PS, if we are driving down to Sussex we tend to cross Salisbury Plain near Heytesbury, go past Stonehenge and then skirt Winchester (traffic around Salisbury sometimes rivals the jams in Bath!), but Salisbury does seem to be the cheapest place in the area for petrol (I've never understood why, but it seems to have been the case for at least a decade).

staffs
Level Contributor
182 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting longleat.

Very useful information thank you for taking the time to reply I wil take the route you suggested.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting longleat.

Actually, the Petrol Stations in Warminster Town Centre are often the cheapest in Wiltshire - don't ask me why !

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting longleat.

Some might say it's because Warminster is a bit behind the times....I would never say that, of course.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting longleat.

Thanks for the tip Mr Bus; we'll be down at Longleat for the "Tractor Ted" farm day(s) this weekend.

(£12/car or free to passport ticket-holders in case anybody out there has young children similarly obsessed with agricultural machinery). http://www.tractorland.co.uk

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting longleat.

Mr Bus

Your encyclopaedic knowledge was spot-on.

Petrol in Bath yesterday upwards of 119.9/litre

Petrol in Warminster this morning - 114.9p/litre (Morrisons) compared to petrol on the roundabout 121.9p/litre

Quite a difference

Frome, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visting longleat.

I live in Frome and have been working in the town centre this summer. During this time I have witnessed that Frome is very much a tourist destination, and with very good reason. There is much to see and do - beautiful historic buildings, great 'independent' shopping (Catherine Hill and Cheap Street), entertainment in the form of 2 theatres, cinema, good live music, a few excellent pubs and some lovely cafe's and restaurants. It also hosts its very own annual Arts Festival in July (which was fantastic this year!).

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visting longleat.

Welcome to the forum selfcateringfrome. Yes, there are some nice bits of Frome and the Merlin Theatre often has some interesting performances/acts.

I am not sure that there are that many hotels/B&B's though - are there?

PS: I am amazed that you didn't plug the forthcoming Frome Cheese Show on

Saturday 11 September http://www.fromecheeseshow.co.uk/visitors.asp

It's a great day out for families.

Frome, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visting longleat.

Thanks for pointing that one out - only lived here for a year and didn't make it last.

I'm not sure about b&b's and hotels but this website lists quite a few: www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co.uk, and there's also a really helpful (and safe!) tourist information centre too (frometouristinfo.co.uk - 01373 465757).

10. Re: Visting longleat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:16