We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from York to Bath

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
travel from York to Bath

hi, is there a nice scenic driving route thru the dales,from York to Bath?

It would need to be easy & pleasant as I am driving alone.

Am I better getting a train back to london, then to Bath?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
832 reviews
from US$164.34*
US$193.30
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
442 reviews
from US$100.20*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from York to Bath

The dales are the opposite direction from York to Bath - not something to do on the way. A separate day trip - fine.

Better by train I would say. Either York London then London Bath or York Bristol, Bristol Bath

Bristol is more direct but cheap tickets may be easier to come by via London - as two bookings.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from York to Bath

I would do the journey by train - you can relax and enjoy the countryside (and towns) and let someone else do the work.

No idea how long the train journey is, but the 'no-motorway' option on the AA route planner gives 6 hours as the 'scenic' route if you choose to drive.....

Using the train would also ease the problem of parking in Bath.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from York to Bath

Journey time by train is between 4 and 4-1/2hrs and is similar for both routes (cross country route via Birmingham or via London). The cross country route is recommended as it's a lot easier to change train in Bristol than have to change stations in London. Timetable and booking (it's normally much cheaper to book some weeks in advance): http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/

4. Re: travel from York to Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Bath