We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

I will be in London next week and wanted to go visit Bath/Stonehenge. I see there are several good one day trip tour to Bath from London. Can you advise whether I should take this tour or stay overnight in Bath? thank you in advance for your advise

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
Wild Swim Bike Run Limited
City Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Mayor's Honorary Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Scarper Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Around and About Bath
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

Bump.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

I live near Bath so have never stayed there but one of these days I shall treat myself to an overnight stay. It's not the cheapest place for accommodation though so much would depend on your budget. The Theatre Royal is lovely and has some excellent plays etc so if your visit coincides with something you like the sound of, stay over and go see something there. There's also the Rondo theatre, just on the edge of town, which has some great struff - and at a fraction of the price.

Mentioned in this post
Theatre Royal Bath
Theatre Royal Bath
799 Reviews
Bath, UK
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

Overnight stay, if possible.

If not, avoid 'all-in-one-day' coach trips, you spend hours in the bus and no time at the destination.

Train journey from Paddington is about 75 minutes (bus is cheaper but longer), fare will be cheaper if you leave London after 9 o'clock, but up to you to investigate that. Buy tickets in advance, much more expensive on the day.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

Agree with Roman Citizen--if you book a coach tour, you will spend most of your time in the coach in traffic, and very little in Bath or at Stonehenge.

Bath is a very beautiful place, with a lot to see and take in. I would spend the night if it was within your budget. I highly recommend the Roman Baths--really fabulous.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
The Roman Baths
The Roman Baths
18,111 Reviews
Bath, UK
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

If you insist on Stonehenge - a waste of time IMO - then you could catch an early morning train from Waterloo to Salisbury (search the Salisbury forum for 'left luggage'), bus out to Stonehenge, back to Salisbury, quick tour of the Cathedral (contains a copy of Magna Carta), then on to Bath by train, overnight, back to Lunnon mid afternoon next day.

Just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
307 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

Catch the train or coach to Bath and book to stay in the Bath YMCA. they have private rooms which are comfortable and clean. There is breakfast provided and have a basic restaurant with cheap nutritious meals available most of the day. The YMCA have also produced a tourists map which directs to all the tourist attractions in town - on foot easily covered in less than 2 hours.

Get lost on your first day and on the second day make an effort to see the bits you missed. Left luggage at Bath YMCA is 1GBP.

Edited: 16 October 2010, 22:23
Mentioned in this post
Bath YMCA
Bath YMCA
308 Reviews
Bath, UK
7. Re: Bath: one day trip or overnight stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2011, 05:18