We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

side to Bath

North Carolina
Level Contributor
96 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
side to Bath

Thanks in advance - your colleagues have been such a help in the past. Should I buy tickets from London to Bath on the Train before I leave the US? Any great hidden treasures of neat places to stay (without a car) in Bath for 2 60+ year olds on a bit of a budget, but want to have a special time, and who may never get to Bath again? Can you tell I'm really excited??

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: side to Bath

When would you be going?

You can just purchase the tickets here at any of the NR stations.

NR = National Rail

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: side to Bath

If you buy the tickets at the station on the travel day, you will likely pay £34 (off-peak) or £79.50 (anytime). If you purchase in advance over the Internet, you could get a ticket for as low as £14.50. See www.nationalrail.co.uk for schedule, fares and purchasing options.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: side to Bath

They First Great Western (FGW) will not post tickets overseas. If you have an address that you can have the tickets delivered to in the UK then you can do that and save.

FGW has tickets from £9.50.

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: side to Bath

First Great Western will not pot the ticket to you, but you can pick up tickets that you have bought at Paddington befor you actually travel. You will need the same credit card that you used for the tranaction and the reservation code that you will be sent by email. It is uual to use one of the many machines to get the actual tickets but if there are any problems because you will have a "chip-less" credit card, you will be able to use the staffed ticket office.

I am sure that locals will come on with suggestions on where to stay - I suggest somewhere central. My tip would be to go on one of the daily free walking tour of the city to get an informed view of the history and architecture. I believe they leave from outside the Tourist Iformation Centre and Pump Rooms at 10.30 and also quite often in the afternoons.

Have a great trip - it is a wonderful place to visit.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: side to Bath

Sorry to ask, but need a definition of 'budget'.

$50

$100

$150

?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
96 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: side to Bath

No more than $150/night, unless it is amazing... And if course an amazing deal for less would be better! Thanks.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
96 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: side to Bath

What is the difference in buying from national rail and first great western? It appears that FGW has a direct train to Bath, and national makes a change. Are they actual different train companies, or just different booking agents?

Edited: 14 January 2011, 12:30
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: side to Bath

National Rail is an information service - it just provides times/fares and links you through to a rail company/agent of your choice to buy the tickets. If you link through to the 'wrong' agent that agent may charge a fee. The ticket will (with few exceptions) be the same price wherever you buy it.

First Great Western operate the service from London Paddington to Bath - and naturally sell tickets for it. Face value, no fees.

Southwest trains operate another service via a different route from London Waterloo to Bath. It's slower, and normally involves a change at Salisbury. It can be cheaper.

Both National Rail and FGW will show both services - IF you ask the right question

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: side to Bath

National Rail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rail

FGW is the company/operator.

10. Re: side to Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 07:19