We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Bath

Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Bath

Is there a more "scenic" route between Gatwick and Bath?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
432 reviews
from US$98.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Inner Circle Access of Stonehenge...
830 reviews
from US$190.40*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Bath

More scenic than what? And are you talking road or rail?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Bath

How long have you got?

I hate motorways so we often cut down through Horsham and pick up the A272 at Billingshurst passing through Petworth, Midhurst, Petersfield onto Winchester from where we cut across to Stonehenge and then drive over Salisbury Plain on the A360/B390 then get on the A36 up to Bath.

If I wanted to make a day of it, then I might add another (50?) miles and nip down to take a look at Brighton then take the A27/M27 passing near to Arundel castle (nice spot for lunch/tea perhaps) then either pick up the A36 just past Southampton or stay on the motorway another junction and drive up through the New Forest to Salisbury and onto Bath.

Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Bath

More scenic than a highspeed motorway. We arrive at Gatwick at 7 AM and are driving to Bath. We hope to get there by mid afternoon.

Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Bath

sue,

Thanks. That's the info I was seeking.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,369 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Bath

Why do people want to fly long distances then immediately jump into a car to drive on unfamiliar roads on the opposite side of the road they are used to for several hours?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Bath

Hi

I think I would wait until about 9/9:30am before setting out on our busy roads if you can. The roads around Gatwick are VERY busy until the school-run is over (based on the past few times I have been there).

If you are a regular traveller (with a flexible bodyclock) and have driven in the UK before (on narrow windy roads) then my first route is fine. Otherwise you might find it downright scarey driving on the wrong side of the road and would be better off using motorways/coast road.

You don't really need a car in Bath so you could get a car/taxi to pick you up and start your car hire later in the trip. If you arrange it in advance most would be happy to add an extra hour or two of sightseeing along the way.

It would be a shame to start a UK holiday with a stressful journey.

Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Bath

The train is a no-brainer. You can always hire a car in Bath. The train takes you through some beautiful landscape to Reading. And the train from Reading to Bath usually leaves just opposite your arriving train on the same platform.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,235 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Bath

I agree with post 6. You don't need a car in Bath, and driving in Bath (and especially parking) is not fun. I would rent after you are leaving.

You are aware that petrol is about $9 a gallon in the UK?

Really, if it were me, I'd train it.

Edited: 05 May 2011, 21:44
9. Re: Gatwick to Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations