We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

canada
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

I have to make my way to Bath from Moreton on Marsh. I have found a train route but it gets there much later in the day than I wanted. Has anyone done this route and how? I am thinking of taking a taxi if possible (but I am sure this is expensive!). I have only 2 days in Bath and I don't want to miss any of it.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

Bath is sixty miles from M-o-M. The faster trains take 1 hour and 41 minutes.

Goggle maps, which is always wildly optimistic about travel times, says it would take 1 hour and 35 minutes.

A train faces no traffic. Bath is a miserable place to take a car.

http://nationalrail.co.uk

Edited: 13 May 2011, 02:40
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

What time of day are you travelling? The first train of the day from Moreton In Marsh is 6.16 and after changing at Didcot you should (this is First Great Western trains we are talking about!!) arrive in Bath at 7.57. The trains are then roughly every 45 minutes to an hour for the rest of the day.

Bath is a very small city and all the main tourist sites are very close together. The furthest you will have to walk is out to see the Royal Crescent which is a leisurely 10 to 15 minute stroll from the centre!

And yes - Bath is a very miserable place to take a car!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

There's only about one train a day as fast as the 6.16 recommended above. Most take 2-2.5 hours, usually changing both at Oxford and Didcot.There is no direct train.

The 6.16 on weekdays is extortionately expensive: prices tumble from the £54 on the 6.16 to £15.50 on the10.47, arriving 1300.(www.nationalrail.co.uk).

Your only alternative is a taxi– probably costing somewhere between £70 and £100. In your shoes, I'd take a train the previous evening: the last one you can get is 2045, and costs just eight pounds.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

I'm guessing you are travelling on a Sunday - in which case I can't think of a way of getting to Bath earlier than lunchtime without a taxi. If it's in the week you are looking up something wrong

It could be marginally cheaper to get the taxi to Swindon and pick up the train there - you are saving 20 miles in the taxi for a rail fare of about £10

Edited: 13 May 2011, 08:02
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,335 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

Can we knock this on the head once and for all: Bath is NOT a miserable place to take a car, but you need to be prepared, and you need to keep your eyes open.

Just what you would do if driving anywhere strange.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

RomanCitizen--agreed, it is certainly possible to take a car to Bath, but the OP isn't driving herself. Her options are train vs. cab. If it were me, and my taxi hit gridlock and was crawling along into town with the meter running, I would really not be happy.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

Hi

There is a direct National Express coach service between OXFORD and Bath once a day (including Sundays). It leaves Oxford at 9:50, allegedly arriving in Bath at 11:55. (the bus/coach station is next door to the train station).

Tickets for next week are showing up at £6.50 (wow!). I'll leave you to figure out how to get to Oxford.

coach.nationalexpress.com

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

The train and coach stations in Oxford are NOT next door to each other - Coaches depart from Gloucester Green Coach station which is about a 10 minute walk from the train station. To make matters worse, If you are travelling on a Sunday, there is no way of getting to Oxford in time to catch the coach.

Train is really the best way to do this journey.

canada
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

Thanks so much for your input.

10. Re: Moreton on Marsh to Bath?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 06:20