We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free restaurants

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten free restaurants

My husband & I are coming to Bath on August 19th for the weekend to celebrate our 30th wedding aniversary. My husband has a food allergy so can't eat food that contains flour so no pizza, pasta, bread etc. Can anyone recommend where we can eat? Not too bothered what type of food but would like a really nice restaurant one night for a special anniversary meal. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
732 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free restaurants

A quick google comes up with:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186370-…

I cannot give personal recomendations for Bath, but I can for other places!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,681 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free restaurants

Well, Botelinos is defintely NOT a place for a special meal, and I am not a fan of Aqua. Never been to Demuths as I am a militant carnivore.

The 3 best restaurants = at present = in Bath are probably the Olive Tree, the Circus and Woods.

Woods is the cheapest of the 3, and is reliable, but for somewhere special I would go for the Circus: the Olive Tree has the best food (for me) but it is quite pricey, and the atmosphere can be a bit cold (but check their menu, you may decide it is for you).

I would imagine all 3 of these places will do gluten-free, but contact them directly to ask.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 11:58
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free restaurants

Hi

If those suggestions seem a bit pricey, the perhaps try Cote (which recently took over the premises of what used to be the Moon & Sixpence).

www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/Cote_Bath.html

I've had 2 very pleasant lunches there in a past month (and was always pleasantly surprised by the bill)! The menu is online.

Just in case anybody else reading this thread has allergies, I notice that Giraffe has an excellent schedule of what is in their food:

…amazonaws.com/pdfs/Allergy_breakfast_mains.…

It probably isn't the place to go for a special meal but we like having family meals there.

Hope that helps

Lancing, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free restaurants

If you like Indian food, try The Eastern Eye in Quiet Street in Bath centre. My wife is a coeliac also and found this place after some internet searching. Its a large open plan restaurant up a flight of stairs and the menu is flagged up accordingly to all that is gluten free. We had a great meal with most importantly no bad effects. We are going to bath in 4 weeks and are definately planning to return.

Edited: 25 July 2012, 15:45
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,681 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free restaurants

Ate there the other night for the first time in years, and was massively disappointed. The best Indian at the moment is the Haldi, but that is in the suburbs, but there are others in the centre better than the EE.

Bath, United Kingdom
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free restaurants

Demuth's is a vegetarian speciality, and has excellent vegetarian specialities! Jamie's Italian might also do some good options if you let them know in advance.

If you are looking for a travel guide to the city, I whole-heartedly recommend this, packed full of local knowledge about the city! http://www.unanchor.com/itinerary/view/213

7. Re: Gluten free restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 22:17