We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

It will be a Saturday night in October and we will be 20 mature ladies (not a noisy hen party!). Can anyone recommend a suitable restaurant, fairly central, that caters for most tastes, that can cope with a large party and at the same time offer a nice atmosphere?

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot..we would just like a nice meal out somewhere where we can hear ourselves speak...

Thanks for your help.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Woods will fit the bill nicely, has nice atmosphere, food has been of reliable standard for 25+ years, not TOO expensive (Bath can be expensive to eat out).

http://www.woodsrestaurant.com/

The Circus has realy nice food, but is more expensive.

http://www.thecircuscafeandrestaurant.co.uk/

Alternative might be Firehouse Rotisserie, though that might be a bit noisy, and, tread carefully, a bit 'young'.

www.firehouserotisserie.co.uk/mainmenu.html

For a party of that size on a Saturday, you will need to book well in advance.

Edited: 25 July 2011, 08:58
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Woods is a very good suggestion the food ought to appeal to just about anybody. More importantly there is a private room off to the side of the main restaurant.

http://www.woodsrestaurant.com/menu.html

As long as it isn't a rugby weekend you'd probably be able to use that.

A slightly more unusual option might be to have a catered event on a large river boat that is usually moored up just south of Pulteney Weir - Penny Lane. It doesn't have to travel (but you might like a short boat trip).

www.thepennylane.co.uk/Private-Parties.aspx

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

. Woods looked good, but they say we have to order their 3 course £30 menu + drinks , then we can have their private dining room. This might not suit all of our party, some of whom are on a tight budget, or may not want to eat so much, so we are now considering Cote, who only ask us to place our orders in advance...

Many thanks for your help!

Bath
Level Contributor
47 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Gascoyne Place do a very good meal

http://www.gascoyneplace.co.uk/pages/menu.htm

Or Firehouse Rotisserie www.firehouserotisserie.co.uk/mainmenu.html

Can highly recommend them both

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

How about the Salamander?

Okay, it's a pub but they also serve food. There is a small room upstairs for diners but I'm sure when I 've been there in the past people have booked out the upstairs room for special occasions and you should be able to fit 20 people in there.

The menu looks good so it might be worth looking into.

http://www.bathales.com/pubs/salamander.html

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Well, three cheers for the Salamander! Woods wanted us in at 6.30pm and out by 8.30pm, so that was out. Gascoyne Place took ages to reply, then said they needed a £5 per head deposit, and we would be restricted with menu choice. But the Salamander came back right away in a very friendly manner. And their menu looks good. We are coming to Bath for a day for a recce next week, and will pop in and check it out. So that's the Saturday night sorted -now for the rest of the week-end! Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Top prize goes to Matt_1376 :+)

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Please keep us posted; I hadn't realised that "upstairs" above the Salamander still existed (and, presumably, neither did anyone else if they can fit you in!).

The location and size ought to be perfect for your group.

PS: Cote is nice but I am not sure I would subject them to a group of 20.

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

For everybody's information, upstairs at the Salamander can seat 29 people. I'm looking forward to seeing it next week. Will keep you posted.

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Hi all,

Just to update you. We came to Bath for the day last week and James at the Salamander was very helpful. We are going to have the whole of the upstairs room to ourselves (there are now 27 of us), and he will email the menu a couple of weeks beforehand so that we can pre-order. We can stay there, if we want, until throwing out time. My companion and I had lunch , which was fine. We'll see how it all works out in October!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best restaurant to book for party of 20 mature ladies?

Just to let you now our party had a fab time at the Salamander, and thanks very much for recommending it. They coped well with 25 of us in the upstairs room -only the computerised till let them down when it came to processing the 25 individual bills that they (perhaps rashly) offered. Very nice manager, James. Thanks again -Bath was fantastic!