We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Bath-- great trip

florida
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Bath-- great trip

Wanted to say thanks again to the folks who responded to my queries about this and that. We LOVED Bath (and environs).

The Bath Priory was one of the half dozen or so hotels that we've stayed in that actually EXCEEDED my expectations (and they were high). Stayed in the room called Daffodil and loved it. (Shower stall tiny though.) Service was exemplary. The entire place was a delight, every niche, every corner, every painting on the walls, etc. etc etc. We thought the food was excellent-- best food we had in Bath, almost as good as the best food we've had anywhere. But the GROUNDS! Oh, the grounds! The gardens were lovely way beyond what I thought they'd be; I was entranced; I was swept away.

And the walk from The Priory down through the fine Victoria Park (with its lovely botanical garden), past the Crescent, past the Circle, on into lovely Bath itself was wonderful.

We loved walking all over town. Loved, especially, the Bath Abbey and the Roman Baths.

Had a terrific meal at the Circus restaurant and a quite good one at Marlborough Tavern. Also somewhere else quite pleasant, though I can't remember the name just now.

Greatly enjoyed our Mad Max tour of the Cotswolds (want to see more!!). Also saw Lacock and Avebury on way from Heathrow. Salisbury on way from Bath to Southampton port.

Loved it all. Wish the weather had been better (though it wasn't awful).

Thanks!

1. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 14:09
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

Always good to have a reason to come back to the UK! The Cotswolds are delightful, aren't they? I took a Mad Max tour from Bath a couple of years ago, although I didn't think they went to Avebury as well?

Norway
Level Contributor
979 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

I'm so glad to hear you had a great trip to Bath, and found a lovely place to stay!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

Nancy

I some so glad you enjoyed your short trip to Bath (remember it's the rain that keep everything so green in our parks and gardens). The Priory is lovely, but I can imagine some might find it a bit too formal (even thought the staff aren't stuffy).

Can you let us know who you eventually used for the taxi transfers with the sightseeing detours. Sometimes a taxi is the only way for visitors to get to some places and it would be helpful for others to assess whether it makes sense to do this as part of a transfer.

florida
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

Priory: We truly dislike stuffy or pretentious or "stuck-up" kinds of places (restaurants, hotels, whatever). What Priory is about (in addition to its gorgeousness) is capital "S" Service-- attentive, friendly, "nothing is too much trouble" service. As for "formal": There was maybe one couple where the gentleman was wearing jacket and tie in the restaurant. Several other men were wearing jackets. Most wore no jacket at all-- just a nice shirt and slacks.

Our transfer service from Heathrow to Bath was with Windsor Day Tours. Jill (the owner and driver/guide) was wonderful. Very helpful in the planning stages and perfect for us in the transfer and touring. We visited Windsor for an hour or so first; didn't have time to tour the castle, alas. Then visited Avebury for about an hour; and then Lacock for about 45 min. And then dropped off at the stunning Priory. Jill was friendly, informative, but also gave us our own space and time.

Enjoyed Mad Max for full day Cotswolds trip from Bath. Liked some of the villages more than others (Castle Combe,Bibury,Slaughters). Guide (Tim) was great.

Transfer from Bath to Southampton not so great. Chose Advanced Airport Transfers (was considerably less expensive than some others). Driver was nearly an hour late! Never had that happen before. As a result, had to miss visiting Stonehenge, but did visit Salisbury for about an hour. Nice town, nice stroll along the Avon; spectacular, of course, finally to see the iconic cathedral (though liked it better from the outside than the inside; liked Bath Abbey better). Greatly enjoyed the crazy "pop art" sculptures inside and out: real cool!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

Thanks Nancy

Advanced Airport Transfers isn't a company I have heard of so I am guessing they had to drive into Bath from some distance to pick you up.

In England (Bath doubly so) traffic snarls do happen. That said, it is all about expectation management. If the supermarket delivery companies can manage to phone and explain a delay/options available then surely that is a lesson for the taxi firms if they want repeat customers. (end of rant).

For example, if I am heading to Heathrow for a flight (and we hear that the motorway is closed) the taxi company have phoned to discuss whether we need an earlier pick-up or alternative route.

Anyway, I digress. It simply means that you need to come back to England to see Stonehenge one day (though I much prefer Avebury, to be honest)!

7. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 14:09
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

Nancy, so glad to hear your rip went well...I hope you'll take the time to review the Bath Priory, Windsor Day Tours (listed under attractions in Windsor) and Advanced Airport Transfers so future travelers can have the benefit of your experience.

9. Re: Back from Bath-- great trip

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 03:16